Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dr Shipkos advice

Dr Shipkos advice

when I asked about doing some formal reseach on ssri neuro toxicity here is what Dr Shipko advised

At this point I can't start a new project when I already have so much going on. I have been in communication with people from the UK who are discussing this with the British government, which has access to all of the health data, and might have a stake in defining and treating SSRi related neurotoxicity. I hope that the necessary research will be completed one day, and that the effects of SSRIs will be elucidated. I encourage you to liaison with academic institutions or government organizations to encourage this line of research. It seems clear to me that the longer term withdrawal emergent symptoms are best described as variants of tardive akathisia. First it needs a correct clinical appraisal and then it needs investigation as to etiology and modification. I agree that there is a perverse system where physicians and hospitals make more money when they do a poor job of outpatient management.

I have replied asking who is doing the reseach in the uk, if it is healy. I will update here on anything i find out
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

It would be great if someone like this would become involved in the movement. Like Fj posted on PP about the propecia group. Keep up the work Iggyana.
    Acceptance. Time. Habit.

Iggyana -- You know Alto is heavily involved with an Italian researcher, right? Have you read everything she has posted about about research? If you want to pursue this angle, make sure you know what’s already being done. ;)
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

noI didnt know about altos stuff. do you have a link to somehwre she reports on her findings?

I wont acctually do anything, Im just trying to get someone like Dr Shipko who sees probably the most patients with withdrawal to do some tests to see if ANYTHING correlates, for me, what I am most interested in at the moment is having a lumbar puncture to see if Im showing any signs of demyelination, lol, I would do it too if you didnt have to have a local anaestetic, Im more scared of having that than the lumbar puncture, but Im not ruling out having one done.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

Well honey, you've taken me from scared sh*tless to totally terrified. I feel that whatever you've got is the same with me and this would explain why things keep getting worse rather than better. I simply can't live like this indefinately, and that seems the likely prognosis. Reading w/d success stories can't help this one.
    10;mg PAXIL 12 YEARS
    C/T June 2012

no NO sally, wrong!!! If it is demyelination it is reversible, totally and utterly!

fish oil is your bestest friend. please dont say I scared you, I so didnt want to do that, and Im probably wrong anyway, I usually am

the only way to know would be to ave a bloody lumbar puncture and I just dont know if I dare

why is living like you are a likely prognosis? and why cant reading recovery stories help with this? if it is myelin, then it was the same for everyone else who recovered!

im sorry I scared you, I shouldnt be posting Im so sorry

It's not you Caroline, it Dr Shipco using the word tardive which means persistant which means may be permanent. That's what I've feared so much. It's usually the antipsychotics that cause it but Shipko is saying that ssri's can cause it too. The last few weeks have been so bad and the thought of akathisia for years is unendurable. You don't find success stories on line from tardive akathisia.
    10;mg PAXIL 12 YEARS
    C/T June 2012

ahhh, so thats whats upset you, well then let me put your mind at rest, NO tardive akathisia is not permenant, the word terdive simply means late occuring, same as if you are a tardy person becasue you are late, it means it comes on later, after the drug is removed, he is saying that he defines all withdrawal symptoms as tardive akathisia.....you are thinking of Tardive dyskinisia (bad spelling but cant be bothered to look for it) which CAN be permenant but certainly isnt always, and that is usually only caused by antipsychotics and you dont have that anyway, its uncontrolled movements usually facial spasms....here is what the wiki says about tardive akathisia....and remember shea, tigerlily, cindy from here and many others had tardive akathisia, so you cant say there are no success stories, according to shipko every person who had withdrawal had tardive akathisia, ,and TRUST me on this one, yearakathisia CETAINLY had the most SVERE form of akathisia for 3 years, he says it is gone now

this is what wiki says about tardive akathisia

Although these side effects disappear quickly and remarkably when the medication is stopped, tardive, or late-persisting akathisia may go on long after the offending drug is discontinued, sometimes for a period of years—unlike the related tardive dyskinesia, which can be permanent.

see? does that help/#?

Caroline – I don’t have a link to Alto’s research, but I’m pretty sure there’s stuff in her research section at SA. Just ask around there.

Mona – There is so much they have been wrong about re the brain – you don’t make new neurons as you get older = wrong; you can only recover from brain damage for the first two years and then you stop = wrong. Etc., etc. Never believe anything limiting that an MD tells you.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Sorry guys, my brain just can't undertand things properly any more.
    10;mg PAXIL 12 YEARS
    C/T June 2012