Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Muscle Pain and Recovery Time?

Muscle Pain and Recovery Time?

Is anyone familiar with muscle pain caused by withdrawal and how long it can last? Does it go away or can the drugs/wd literally cause a permanent fibromyalgia-like state or fibro itself?
    2004: Effexor-150mg
    2006: switch to paxil-up to 40mg
    2008: after paxil taper failed, went back on effexor-250mg
    2009: quit effexor cold turkey. Switched to zoloft-100mg
    2010: zoloft taper failed, switched to celexa-30mg
    October 2011: tapered celexa in one week

I've had HORRIBLE muscle pain caused by meds, aching everywhere and pain. I'd like to take a moment to say that most of the effects you all are experiencing in WD, I experienced more on the drug and less off of it. On the meds, I would wake up in pain everywhere. It's awful. It does go. I do have muscle pain but I honestly think it's because of the way I sit at a laptop. Feel better.
    8 weeks on Zoloft in total, including my 4 week taper, ending on May 20th, 2013. Still going through emotional and partially physical hell.

aka Epiphany-
    http://ssriandbenzowdhelp.freeforums.net/

I don’t know if we’re talking about the same thing. I’ve had a lot of muscle tension, which has been very painful. It has slowly gotten better. Stretching helps. And I took some arnica homeopathy which may have helped.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

One of the very stubborn symptoms in my case is the WD-induced fibromyalgia and neuropathy, especially the pain in the soles of my feet when walking. Yes, those seem to improve, but very very slowly. They are very common in WD. That said, I strongly believe it will keep improving.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

luc, did you get DXed with fibro?

I get muscle pain probably every couple weeks. It goes along with my fasciculations which I now believe were caused by antibiotics. Anyways, I get these bouts of muscle and joint pains and it SEEMS to have improved over time but cant say for certain as my memory is foggy. I am just wondering if the pains will clear up or could the WD itself actually cause fibro?

Quote Originally Posted by bruno2006 View Post
    I was examined by a neurologist two years ago. It was one of the most hellish parts of my WD - suffering from severe akathisia, muscle spasms, vomiting, total inability to sleep, extreme physical pain - (I'm mentioning only a part and of *only* physical symptoms). She examined me very carefully and analyzed everything - from my medical history through every single drug I had taken to the symptoms I was experiencing (shaking hands and burning red spots all over my body being some of those she actually *could* see) and her diagnosis was " 'being under stress', which causes some sort of psychoneurosis". Since all reflexes and other things were ok to her, she did not diagnose me with any "medical mainstream recognized" condition.
    Last edited by Luc; 07-15-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruno2006 View Post

I get muscle pain probably every couple weeks. It goes along with my fasciculations which I now believe were caused by antibiotics. Anyways, I get these bouts of muscle and joint pains and it SEEMS to have improved over time but cant say for certain as my memory is foggy. I am just wondering if the pains will clear up or could the WD itself actually cause fibro?
    Whether it would indeed be a real fibromyalgia, semi-fibromyalgia, pseudo-fibromyalgia, whatever we will call it, looking at many cases over the years, it does look like it is improving, Bruno. If only possible, I'd abstain from going the painkillers way as much as possible and seek natural ways of treatment for this and other symptoms too. On a side-note, and ironically enough, they prescribe SSRIs for fibromyalgia...

The antibotics could have indeed brought on these fasciculations in your case. What type of them did you take? Flouroquinolones especially are known to cause this. But it will keep improving this way or that.

Hey Bruno, how are things going in general? How are things in comparison to the beginning of wd or what's changed in the last year? I hope you're not under as much stress as before.

Sorry I have no idea about the fibro thing. For some reason I never had much physical pain in WD.
    Acceptance. Time. Habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Whether it would indeed be a real fibromyalgia, semi-fibromyalgia, pseudo-fibromyalgia, whatever we will call it, looking at many cases over the years, it does look like it is improving, Bruno. If only possible, I'd abstain from going the painkillers way as much as possible and seek natural ways of treatment for this and other symptoms too. On a side-note, and ironically enough, they prescribe SSRIs for fibromyalgia...

The antibotics could have indeed brought on these fasciculations in your case. What type of them did you take? Flouroquinolones especially are known to cause this. But it will keep improving this way or that.
    hi Luc,

I often wonder if these drugs can cause fibro and if they do, does it clear up with time. I have read of people being on the drugs long term and then developing fibro. In my case, the muscle pains started after withdrawal and I never had these issues before drugs. However, I am in great shape and very lean so it could be just a temporary thing due to withdrawal. Keeping my fingers crossed, it, and other symptoms, go away with more time...

Regarding antibiotics, I took a Zpack, bactrim, and then Cipro. I know bactrim can cause fasiculations as it is in the scientific literature, but it says it is temporary. Let us not forget, tho, that permanent or long term side effects from drugs are often downplayed or ignored when it comes to the so called scientific literature.

Quote Originally Posted by Moui View Post
    Hey Bruno, how are things going in general? How are things in comparison to the beginning of wd or what's changed in the last year? I hope you're not under as much stress as before.

Sorry I have no idea about the fibro thing. For some reason I never had much physical pain in WD.
    Hey Moui,

another year I predict I will be fully recovered. It has now been about 21 months since I quickly, under the care of an "alternative medicine clinic", tapered off the drugs. I am doing much better now and have seen progress, especially when I modified my diet, added certain supplements, tapped into the energy of Mother Nature and my fellow human beings, and perhaps some other things. I recently went out with a girl who I hadnt seen in a few years and I can honestly say I really like her and feel something for her. Why is this important? It is important because many people, including myself, have wondered, "will I be able to love again? Will I have emotions again? Am I permanently damaged?" I thought all these things and concluded I wont love for a long time because I am broken and damaged by the withdrawal, however, it appears to not be true. That is not to say that the drugs did not affect my ability to love, but this problems seems to be resolved, at least mostly. I feel a big attraction to this girl and so I know I can love again.

I would say my main issues currently are: fatigue, cognitive functioning, low mood, some body pains like mentioned previously, and maybe one or two more things. I know I will continue to heal...oh and still sensitive to stress although not as bad....as i have seen improvement AND, most importantly, I BELIEVE I will heal. Often, the victims of psychiatry lose hope and symptoms last for years and years and perhaps even get worse. But, one can never give up. I have an inner flame that burns and, after reading and reading and talking to many people, I now believe that we can heal from anything, including psychiatric drug withdrawal.

I dont update my progress much because I am not out of the woods...yet. Moreover, I still have major stressful events occurring in my life and I often struggle with my own mind so I tend to stay to myself a lot. But, one day I will prepare something special for everyone out there on these Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal Message boards, mark my words. I will put together some special words and a story of my healing because I will heal as everyone else will.