Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Families and the inability to cope.

Wow, hermi, your husband is on the crap, too?! What a time in history we live in.

theelt – Your mother is on an AD, too, right? So, that makes it more of an uphill battle. She is still "spellbound." I wonder if we could find a metaphor that would help her grasp this. For example, is there any other medical treatment that *she* believes is crazy and iatrogenic? Or is there any other kind of standard procedure that people buy into that she has come to believe is not as good as advertised.

You’re a writer and poet. Maybe you can think of a metaphor she could relate to. Ooh, I thought of one, maybe – I am assuming your parents are separated. Is there something your father believes that your mother thinks is erroneous? ;)
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

My parents are separated and I have been having a hard time dealing with it. They used to fight a lot. My mom is on Welbutrin, manufactured by the people that make Paxil....GSK. She wants off because it isn't working and when she does skip a dose, she feels terrible. Very odd. I want the best for her. The other day, she took Zoloft for dizziness. o.O A lot of my friends are on Celexa and they are either tired or just fine. Without Celexa [otherwise known as Citalopram], I know that one of them went through heavy mood swings for a few days when she forgot it. WTF IS GOING ON WITH MEDS HERE?
    8 weeks on Zoloft in total, including my 4 week taper, ending on May 20th, 2013. Still going through emotional and partially physical hell.

aka Epiphany-
    http://ssriandbenzowdhelp.freeforums.net/

Yeah my hubby is on a/d's too :( sort of my fault - when I was on citalopram it really suited me. He saw how good it made me feel and how much better I was within just a couple of weeks of taking it. I knew he was feeling depressed having to cope with my depression and virtually caring for our son all the time. I encouraged, convinced him to go to the g.p. That was 5 years ago. He will never come off it, he doesn't want to. He remembers how he felt before starting it, he believes it keeps him level headed. He doesn't want to go back to that. I also think he realises that coming off it may not be that easy so why upset something that is working fine??

I would never have found anyone that understands if I hadn't come across this site. It was an accidental but I'm so glad I found it :)
    Started on Sertraline 50mg January 2011 (increased to 200mg over a couple of months)
    Started on Risperidone for 'resistant depression' end of Feb 2011
    Stopped Sertraline October 2012
    Started Mirtazipine October 2012
    Stopped Mirtazipine December 2012
    Stopped Risperidone March 2013

theelt – so I still have the questions about the metaphors. Also, can you point out to your mother that the way she feels when she misses a dose is related to how you are feeling? My mother is also on an AD, and I think her experience of running out of her Effexor for a weekend gave her some understanding of my w/d.

hermi – Aww, I’m sorry. That’s very frustrating and sad. But never say never. It’s actually better to stagger w/d in a family. So, you do your recovery now, and just wait. I would not be surprised if he changed his mind at some point. Because these ADs work like amphetamines and make you feel a bit more up for awhile, but then you have to pay the piper and you get worn out. One thing at a time, though!
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit