Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chilling report from SSRI user

Chilling report from SSRI user

On the new website of dr. Healy, I found the following report:

http://wp.rxisk.org/drugs-and-sex-dont-go/

In the link "Buried alive" , a man called Tony describes his experience after a short period on Lexapro, which destroyed his sexuality, identity and costed him his marriage.
    The same article mentions that according to the current data, PSSD is permanent and incurable. Many people report no single progression even after 10 years.
    So this scares the hell out of me, the damage CAN be permanent and times is not always the healer...
    Recovering from the ravages of withdrawal after 5 years on Paxil/Seroxat, originally prescribed for stress and, looking backward, PTSS.
    Though it is hardly possible to get something positive from the utter hell of repeated c/t's and protracted w/d, all of this unnecessary, I still believe in the possiblity to emerge from this as a healed, wiser human being.
    All we need is just a little patience - Guns N' Roses

Claudius, this really speaks to me. I was in my 40's when I started prozac and thought it was just age and menopause. I lost all interest in sex and now 20 years lated can barely remember what it was like. Along with the loss of my sex drive came a distance from other people and an envy for those whose relationships were still meaningful. Now I know it will never return.

Worse though is my son's 27 year old girlfriend who is trying desperately to wean off 40mg celexa. She's down to 20mg now. Her sex drive is also nill but I still hope that she will be fortunate and it will return if she can get off the drug but who knows. Because of the drug she has also developed a weight issue which has severly damaged her self image.Because she's seen what's happened to me she is scaired to death and is weaning very slow which is best.

Huge numbers of our young people are being put on these drugs and it's frightening to think of how it will effect future generations. Is this why so many of us are now numb to the suffering of others? It's like something out of a sci-fi novel
    10;mg PAXIL 12 YEARS
    C/T June 2012

Claudius, my sex drive was not affected by Effexor; what I am dealing with right now is PE premature ejaculation.
    My sex drive is fine though..I think
    Are you having problems?
    150mgs Effexor for 4 years 2008-2012 for situational Major Depression. No AD before
    Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months / last dose July 26th/2012 aprox.
    Acute W/D first 1-2 months
    Protracted W/D since then and slowly recovering.
    Main symptoms: Anxiety, Insomnia,Anhedonia.
    April 9th- 20th SEVERE DEPRESSION.
    11 months off.Slowly improving

Mona I am sorry to read this. I really hope your son's GF can get off, at least she has the propery knowledge about tapering now.
    Furthermore, you write " Is this why so many of us are now numb to the suffering of others? It's like something out of a sci-fi novel "

And that resonates at me, my sister has been completely indifferent about my suffering and continues blaming me for being "stubborn" and "not taking doctors advice". Yeah right!
    But... she is on 10 mg pAxil by herself, and after one failed attempt to get off now fully supporting lifelong use and does not, and does not want to undertand why this is no option for me.
    Unfortunately, many of us are damaged by the drugs beyond repair. I stll count on further recovery but still, all bets are off.
    Recovering from the ravages of withdrawal after 5 years on Paxil/Seroxat, originally prescribed for stress and, looking backward, PTSS.
    Though it is hardly possible to get something positive from the utter hell of repeated c/t's and protracted w/d, all of this unnecessary, I still believe in the possiblity to emerge from this as a healed, wiser human being.
    All we need is just a little patience - Guns N' Roses

I knew I should ahve read this, im in idiot
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

My husband recently went to a new doc, an oncologist, a bright woman. She told him she thinks celexa is a wonder drug and she wishes we could put it in the water. As long as ssri's work for most people they will shut their minds to the dangers. It's like a breath against the tide.
    10;mg PAXIL 12 YEARS
    C/T June 2012

Claudius – remember, you never know people’s whole stories – what else is going on to contribute to their problems. But, if there is neurological damage, then mega-dose Omega-3 is a legitimate option that I am pretty sure has not been tried for this persistent symptom.

Mona -- Egad! The really horrible truth is that it already *is* in the water supply. Pharmaceuticals have been found in every urban water supply tested. Our water treatment facilities are not designed to capture and remove them from the water.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

This post really scares me. Loss of libido is one of the major reasons I want to get off of AD medications. One of the other major ones was weight gain (but now I wish I could gain weight!). It would be so very disheartening to go through all of this only to find one's libido never returning. I am older now (42, almost 43) than when I went on medication (35) and would expect my sex drive to be like it was earlier in my life but I would hope something would change after getting off of this crap. :(

Claudius, I really relate to what you posted about your sister. I am in a similar dilemma with my sister, my twin nonetheless.She has been on AD medication longer than me. She is convinced that she needs to be on meds. and I think she thinks I do too. She does not think I will be able to get off of medication - although both of us have this fear because I haven't yet been able to successfully taper off. Anyway, she is really not supportive of what I am trying to do and it has, I feel, driven a wedge between us. She has been my #1 go to person my whole life and now I don't feel like I can really talk with her about this stuff. She is coming from a place of just not wanting me to suffer any more and just wants me to be happy. I feel this way too, more than anyone, but I don't think it is an option for me to stay on medication any longer.

Sally, it is great that your son's girlfriend was helped by your experience and now knows to be very careful with her taper. Also great that she is now down to 20 mg from 40! I hate that you are going through what you are going through but maybe it brings some relief to know you are helping others (in real life and here).
    2006 Rx'd Cymbalta for approx 1 yr. WD after 4 mos - didn't realize was WD,took Zoloft and Klonopin; tapered K. Spring 2012 experienced major WD symptoms while tapering Zoloft; tried to updose but no relief, back on K 1 mg. Switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to Citalopram. Finished Zoloft 1/13; now on Citalopram 35 mg and 1 mg Klonopin. Started to experience withdrawal symptoms from switch (?) approx. 3 months after finished Zoloft (4/13). Now at 35 mg and hoping to start slow taper

Also wanted to say that when I read the woman's story in the article "Buried Alive" - I feel now on an antidepressant as she does now off - like I am watching other people live their lives and I am on the outside. Maybe I always had this feeling (prior to AD use) to some extent but it certainly has worsened since I've taken ADs. I was hoping this would change getting off of meds - so it is more than just libido but a desire for life/living that seems to have been slipping away over the years. This may just be who I am now but I feel like I have to try to find out by getting off of medication.
    2006 Rx'd Cymbalta for approx 1 yr. WD after 4 mos - didn't realize was WD,took Zoloft and Klonopin; tapered K. Spring 2012 experienced major WD symptoms while tapering Zoloft; tried to updose but no relief, back on K 1 mg. Switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to Citalopram. Finished Zoloft 1/13; now on Citalopram 35 mg and 1 mg Klonopin. Started to experience withdrawal symptoms from switch (?) approx. 3 months after finished Zoloft (4/13). Now at 35 mg and hoping to start slow taper

Just realized Tony was a man, not a woman, but the feelings are the same regardless of gender.