Thread: Family support

Family support

How have your families(&friends) reacted to this? I find it's almost a rule to get some really bad quality support in WD.. maybe because it's not recognized, maybe because it's invisible. Looking from the outside we look normal, just behave different. Maybe because of the psychological thing, stigma.. odd views people have about how to treat mental problems. I don't know.. I've had some surprising reactions. Especially from family. Those that sort of understand/believe are still puzzled and mostly go quiet. I've hardly been able to have any real conversations about this with anyone in the 4 years that I've struggled with the drug. Some have gotten angry at me. Some have said they understood and how horrible it has been with the drug, and then right afterwards have told me to go see the expert, a psychiatrist. The same people who messed up in the first place. I don't know if it's too scary for them to accept the idea that the system might be inherently broken. I've lost contact with friends. But I also have a really good friend, thankfully, who understands and I can talk with. I don't know if it's harder for family members because they are close.. it hurts them more to see us suffer.

Has anyone had good understanding family support?
    Acceptance. Time. Habit.

My mom basically thinks that I'm making this up, I wasn't on meds long enough to be in WD, and that most of this is 'in my head'. I can not try to talk to my mom about this without getting into a huge argument with her, plain and simple. It's horrendous.
    8 weeks on Zoloft in total, including my 4 week taper, ending on May 20th, 2013. Still going through emotional and partially physical hell.

aka Epiphany-
    http://ssriandbenzowdhelp.freeforums.net/

Theelt, you might want to try a similar approach that I have. Sheila posted something relating to this too,giving up the tug of war.. You can re-phrase the situation as the drugs (starting or stopping) sort of triggering a worsening in your state. Psychological or neurological it doesn't really matter, except for the ego. When I talked purely wd, like wd from street drugs I didn't get very good results. More like bad reaction to the drug, or bad reaction to stopping, a cns sensitive to changes (may or may not be true). Yes I too would love to have a big apology letter from those responsible and a validation but that can come later. It wouldn't really change anything.. Healing is priority #1. This has helped me get people more willing to listen to me, even the psychiatrist.

There are a few family members I used to get into fights with as well. The fights started when I was told to do things I didn't want to, go talk to the 'experts' etc. And I was so defensive, I wanted justice and I felt betrayed so I started raising my voice etc, losing my temper.. All they saw is me suffer, talk about mental-related issues, refuse help from the 'valid' sources, and withdraw to online forums.. we have to step into their shoes for a while and look at it from that perspective. I mean it doesn't look good. It's so cruel that things are this way, but it is what it is. When I showed willingness to cooperate I got better results.. nothing really changed regarding the situation or treatment.
    Acceptance. Time. Habit.

no support, people do not understand
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

I have one aunt who lives 3000 miles away who believes I am recovering from neurological damage from the meds, and that it's *really* hard, *and* that they triggered a spiritual awakening. Also, a college friend of my mother’s believes these things.

I was already alienated from my family before w/d, and I didn’t expect to get any help from them for w/d. I have not told them much about it.

A couple of years ago, another aunt of mine was wrongly diagnosed with Alzheimer’s while pretty young, while she was on 5 psych meds. Everybody was devastated. I wrote a long email to that branch of the family explaining that you cannot be meaningfully diagnosed with anything while you’re on 5 psych meds. They completely ignored the email, even though they later got a second opinion from a neurologist, who said the same thing I did, and she tapered off the meds (fast) and was fine.

So, I have given up on my family.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Mixed reactions from my family. On the one hand, I have this one person that has saved my life and I can count on 100%. On the other, I have recently severed any relationship with these other folks. They don't believe it at all, putting all my symptoms down to either laziness and/or there being some "real" condition going on. I accepted it and moved on.

I'm certain of one thing - this condition will get widely acknowledged, and much sooner than one may expect. Those who didn't believe us will be proven wrong.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

I just found out today that my GP AGREES about the evils of Big Pharma O_O
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous