Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Insomnia

Not much to give but sympathy. I'm clueless about about drugs, but naturally have an aversion for that now. I don't know how much putting things on hold and focusing on stabilizing the wd is possible with your responsibilities.
    Only things I know; early morning exercise routine in fresh air,good food, water,any winding down activities at evening, chamomile/passionflower tea, earplugs and facemask , sleep restriction (only certain amount of time allowed in bed like 7 hours, always same time, no naps, get up if awake more than 10-15minutes, get up &stay up even if 2 hours of sleep ,mentally telling and trying to not fall sleep- may sound counterproductive but it's to remove the psychological side of trying too hard and getting more annoyed&stimulated) Who knows with wd and all how much can be helped.

I hope your vacation might bring some refreshing.
    Acceptance. Time. Habit.

the sleep is often deteriorate, and takes many months and much to stabilize, we reach a new sleep pattern, not 100 %, but can recover a kind of sleep again; i speak about long termer drugged; mine was severely deteriorate, today less deteriorate
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I am sorry Junior; I am in the same condition: I wake up every hr.
    Quality of life?? Ha!

I have seen important improvement in other areas though, so hope keeps me going.
    Alex, was it you who mentioned phosphatidylserine? Someone at PP has also recommended this. If I can find it a health food shop (my n/path is away this week) I'm going to try it. Stage 1 of adrenal fatigue is said to be 'hyperactive adrenals'.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

DearJunior and all of you who suffer from insomnia. I am suffering the same way and wish I had the answer. I will tell you the techniques I try. Sometimes they work and sometimes when anxiety sets in they don't seem to. I have come off Aropax - just one month now and anxiety attacks have set in. Sometimes I only get one hour sleep sometimes 5-6 and sometimes more. I never know when it's going to strike. However, I am on St Johns Wort and Kava. They certainly help. I take a bath in epson salts which really helps me to relax. I also have another herbal med for sleep from my naturopath. When I am awake and tense I listen to sermons or something to keep my mind off my troubles which helps my wandering anxious mind. These things aren't the answer, but I hope by sharing them maybe someone will be helped. When I get very agitated I find someone to talk to who understands and encourages. I have been told by my naturopath that this difficult time will pass and the waves of anxiety and insomnia will gradually get further apart and less viscious. It sure is hard to hang in there. I pray for all of you out there because this is a hellish experience. However, our bodies are amazing and will heal - hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Alex, was it you who mentioned phosphatidylserine? Someone at PP has also recommended this. If I can find it a health food shop (my n/path is away this week) I'm going to try it. Stage 1 of adrenal fatigue is said to be 'hyperactive adrenals'.
    Junior, look for SERIPHOS in Amazon
    150mgs Effexor for 4 years 2008-2012 for situational Major Depression. No AD before
    Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months / last dose July 26th/2012 aprox.
    Acute W/D first 1-2 months
    Protracted W/D since then and slowly recovering.
    Main symptoms: Anxiety, Insomnia,Anhedonia.
    April 9th- 20th SEVERE DEPRESSION.
    11 months off.Slowly improving

even if you do not sleep, you have to lie in horizontal position a few hours to rest the body; try to sleep sitting, it works for me
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

I do that Stan, I try everything - yoga postures in the evening, meditation, no coffee after 3pm (I only have 2 a day anyway and it never caused me probs with sleep in the past - not even during my taper), supplements to balance my thyroid, supplements to make me sleepy, melatonin - but the ONLY thing that is working at the moment is Temazepam - and that is not healthy. I am at my wits end. I seriously need to do SOMETHING to settle my overactive adrenals. It's become so bad that thoughts of suicide are creeping in - and I don't say that lightly.

Going to see my GP again this afternoon. Don't know if it will do any good but I'm prepared to try almost anything. Anything but jumping off the Paxil and going on to another SSRI - and only because I tried that once before and it was a disaster. I am prepared to try a tricyclic though.

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

If I were you, I would taper off the coffee before adding a psych med. Your system is not the same right now as it used to be. Two cups of coffee is a lot for someone in w/d and it will definitely contribute to your sleep problems in w/d even if it never did in the past.

Likewise, coffee is too stimulating for your adrenals. Google the chemistry of caffeine.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Junior, how bad is your insomnia? Is it that you can't get asleep, or is it that you wake up and can't go back to sleep? or both?
    For me is broken sleep; I do manage to get sleep, but I wake up several times during the night.I get back to sleep though and get some rest, but is hard.
    I also need 0.25 xanax to be able to have some rest....

This is serious bussines.Don't panic.
    Try Seriphos it seems to help your adrenals to setle down.
    You are not alone.
    150mgs Effexor for 4 years 2008-2012 for situational Major Depression. No AD before
    Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months / last dose July 26th/2012 aprox.
    Acute W/D first 1-2 months
    Protracted W/D since then and slowly recovering.
    Main symptoms: Anxiety, Insomnia,Anhedonia.
    April 9th- 20th SEVERE DEPRESSION.
    11 months off.Slowly improving

Alex - well for example, last night it took me until 3am before I gave in and took 2 x 10mg Temazepam. I get drowsy but just can't drop off. Even WITH the Temazepam, and the drugged feeling, I managed to wake again - IDK - @5.30-6am because I heard hubby getting ready for work. I then woke again at 8.30.

At the moment, without them, I can't get to sleep OR stay asleep. One night last week I managed the sum total of 2.5 hours. That's when I went and got the sleeping tabs - something I've resisted for over 4 years.

I know it is serious business and I'm trying my best to be logical about it. But I have a disabled son to care for and when you start thinking of taking ALL your sleeping tabs (in the middle of the night) or slitting your wrists - well you have to do something. My son needs me. I won't leave him. But I can't live like this either. I've already had to get through so much in my life and I don't think I've got much more fight in me. I want to go 'home' (to the spiritual world)