Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Insomnia

Insomnia

I am SO SO SOOOOOOOOOO tired of being tired due to this *insert expletive/s* problem. When I look back over recent months, it has been getting progressively worse and although I know it is a combination of w/d and what my naturopath and I believe is related - my thyroid condition - I just can't continue this way. I have NO real quality of life. I can't plan anything. I can't make appointments and be sure I will be able to get there. The last few days has been 5 hours, 6 hours (broken, so probably no slow wave sleep), 2.5 hr, 6 hours broken, and 4 hours. That might not sound bad but it really compromises my ability to have a life.

Because w/d and my thyroid condition are not recognised by mainstream medicine, I have no option but to go the natural way. I am comfortable with that except that it will take 3 months or more to kick in. Meanwhile, the constant battle with insomnia leaves me open to all sorts of infections and since it is winter here, colds are rampant. I've already had a cold, a weird throat thing, and a mild virus that just makes you feel tired. I seriously can't go on this way. I gave in and got some Temazepam (10mg)l ast Wednesday (it is Saturday here). Took 1, along with all my supplements which make me drowsy, and the 2mg of melatonin I also got from this GP (mine was fully booked so I went to another one) - and slept from midnight to 4am. At 6am I took another Temazepam and it had no effect. Great. NOT! I am at my wits end. We are going on holiday in just 5 weeks time and I NEED TO BE ABLE TO SLEEP!

Four years ago - having switched from paroxetine to Lexapro, then to Cymbalta, then back to paroxetine (I was lucky, I was able to RI successfully) - I couldn't sleep for love or money. At that point my GP offered me amitryptline. Because my brain was already in chaos I said no. I knew time was the answer. And the RI did settle all of that. But I am now seriously re-considering that offer. A few nights of melatonin hasn't helped much. I know it needs more time - but with it, and the supplements, I can GET to sleep. I just can't STAY asleep.

I have taken amitryptline in the past - for depressive episodes - before SSRIs were on the market. I'm not convinced it helped my depression and I wasn't having any trouble sleeping then. But I'm thinking a few months of it now - while I get my thyroid under control - might be an idea. I never had any trouble coming off it in the past - but I wasn't taking anything else at the time either.

I know the general consensus is to NOT take other drugs - but I really need to sleep. I just can't go on like this. I have a disabled son to care for. Any thoughts would be helpful.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

I am sorry Junior; I am in the same condition: I wake up every hr.
    Quality of life?? Ha!

I have seen important improvement in other areas though, so hope keeps me going.
    150mgs Effexor for 4 years 2008-2012 for situational Major Depression. No AD before
    Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months / last dose July 26th/2012 aprox.
    Acute W/D first 1-2 months
    Protracted W/D since then and slowly recovering.
    Main symptoms: Anxiety, Insomnia,Anhedonia.
    April 9th- 20th SEVERE DEPRESSION.
    11 months off.Slowly improving

I’m so sorry you’re going through this! It’s *very* hard. Wishing you the best with your decision-making.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Have you tried Melatonin? 3mgs should knock you out.
    8 weeks on Zoloft in total, including my 4 week taper, ending on May 20th, 2013. Still going through emotional and partially physical hell.

aka Epiphany-
    http://ssriandbenzowdhelp.freeforums.net/

Doing melatonin - 2mg.. I need another couple of days to be sure.. but it's not doing much at this stage. I can get to sleep but once I wake - at 3-4am - I often don't get back to sleep.

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I am sorry Junior; I am in the same condition: I wake up every hr.
    Quality of life?? Ha!

I have seen important improvement in other areas though, so hope keeps me going.
    I wish I had "the" answer. For all of us :(

I know mine is compounded by my thyroid situation - but geez, louise... Of course, with the medical profession not even recognising THAT (because it doesn't fit into their precious guidelines - GRRR) - it makes it all so much harder.

Based on my mom's experiences and her thyroid condition, she takes Melatonin [and a host of other stuff] and she has disrupted sleep. However, if I take half of that, I get knocked out easily. I tolerated Melatonin, 3mgs, within a month or so and had to move up the dose because I would wake up at 3 in the morning, stay up for 3 hours, and then get sleepy at 6. Not good. Maybe up the dose by a milligram or so?
    8 weeks on Zoloft in total, including my 4 week taper, ending on May 20th, 2013. Still going through emotional and partially physical hell.

aka Epiphany-
    http://ssriandbenzowdhelp.freeforums.net/

Or maybe just wait a few more days - which is what I think I need to do. I've only been on the 2mg for 3 nights. But thanks.

Elt, is your mum taking any medication for her thyroid?

My mom takes Synthroid.