Thread: Heartburn/GI Issues & New Headaches

Unhappy Heartburn/GI Issues & New Headaches

Anyone else deal with severe GERD issues in WD? This didn't really start until a couple weeks ago, and it really sucks. ANY food triggers heartburn, I sometimes get the gas caught in my throat, making it hard to breathe. Last night, my chest started twitching and squeezing and I couldn't breathe but I could belch [if it wasn't caught in my throat]. I went to bed AND woke up with it. Very troubling and it caused me to panic! I went to bed hoping it would go away but I woke up scared.

New issue: migraine with aura. I never had this pre med but I have been having a kelidescope like ring going around my eye, odd floaters, and also strong, horrible head pains that dissipate after a few seconds, and tend to get worse with any sort of head pressure I put on it. It almost feels like something is going to burst [and I have had popping sensations in my head, but with no headache, so I try to not let it bother me] in my head, making me think I have an aneurysm or something [I am getting an MRI very soon, but for an unrelated issue]. I do have sinus issues, but this is like a sinus issue with shorter head pains.

Anyone deal with this?
    8 weeks on Zoloft in total, including my 4 week taper, ending on May 20th, 2013. Still going through emotional and partially physical hell.

aka Epiphany-
    http://ssriandbenzowdhelp.freeforums.net/

its very common honey, just shows your system is trying to fin the right balance again.

Sorry if I have missed this but are you off school? or are you still going?
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

I am currently off of school here in America- just got out for summer vacation. Go back in late August.
    8 weeks on Zoloft in total, including my 4 week taper, ending on May 20th, 2013. Still going through emotional and partially physical hell.

aka Epiphany-

ah!! summer vacation, ours dont start for another few weeks here in the UK....

so is all food giving you heartburn? I do get this also
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

It's common in WD, but could be also caused by a diet. From my own experience - I used to have it terribly lot even in my pre-ADs time. After I changed a couple of things (introducing a low-carb diet among others) it has disappeared completely. I haven't had a single case of heartburn in many years now.
    Last edited by Luc; 07-02-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

I had it pre-AD but VERY occasionally. Now I get it all the time and it is the pits. Possibly changing my diet is the answer.

aka Epiphany-

since tapering i have regularly (it can last 20 minutes) migraines with aura without pain only little malaise during; too much adrenal gives anxiety, chest things, and so many strange feelings
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

The strange part is sometimes I get the migraine with no pain and only the aura, like right now. I agree about the adrenaline part, way too much anxiety there.

aka Epiphany-

You might try a little bit of baking soda in water.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

I have been on my own gut healing journey and have made progress. My diet is really restricted and I have been told I may have SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) or fructose absorption problems. All these gut issues started about 8 months off, or something like that. I used to have severe colon spasms which started when I was on paxil. That is now gone and realized it was certain foods that I was eating (grains, conventional dairy, starches, sugar) that was causing the pain/spasms. I have made a lot of progress, including fixing acid reflux. I have not specifically had GERD, but pretty much every damned symptom of all major gut issues. I suggest: monitor what you eat and do a food journal, eliminate all the known problematic foods (dairy, nuts, wheat/grains/gluten (includes soy, corn)) and reintroduce them very slowly, learn about healing gut protocols like GAPS diet and SCD, take digestive enzymes, take HCL (acid reflux is said to be a sign of low acid, not too much like conventional docs say), be gentle with yourself, eat smaller meals more frequently, etc etc
    2004: Effexor-150mg
    2006: switch to paxil-up to 40mg
    2008: after paxil taper failed, went back on effexor-250mg
    2009: quit effexor cold turkey. Switched to zoloft-100mg
    2010: zoloft taper failed, switched to celexa-30mg
    October 2011: tapered celexa in one week