Thread: Adrenal fatigue

Adrenal fatigue

I've been reading about this (thanks Dr Google) and I think this is the cause of much of my recent insomnia. I believe there are several stages, the first of which is 'hyper adrenalism' (I think that is the name) - meaning very overactive adrenals. Does anyone know anything about this?
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    I've been reading about this (thanks Dr Google) and I think this is the cause of much of my recent insomnia. I believe there are several stages, the first of which is 'hyper adrenalism' (I think that is the name) - meaning very overactive adrenals. Does anyone know anything about this?
    lots of people have adrenal burn out or fatigue because of the modern lifestyle full of stress, toxic food, toxic air, and the like. I am currently taking a Chinese formula to help support my adrenals and find it helpful. The main thing is to get PLENTY of rest. If you have insomnia, addressing that would be of upmost importance as during sleep is when most of the healing takes place. Some use various things to support the adrenals but I try and just rest and eat right and HOPEFULLY my body will do the rest. Some visualizations may also be helpful.
    2004: Effexor-150mg
    2006: switch to paxil-up to 40mg
    2008: after paxil taper failed, went back on effexor-250mg
    2009: quit effexor cold turkey. Switched to zoloft-100mg
    2010: zoloft taper failed, switched to celexa-30mg
    October 2011: tapered celexa in one week

Hi Junior, Google for "SERIPHOS"
    150mgs Effexor for 4 years 2008-2012 for situational Major Depression. No AD before
    Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months / last dose July 26th/2012 aprox.
    Acute W/D first 1-2 months
    Protracted W/D since then and slowly recovering.
    Main symptoms: Anxiety, Insomnia,Anhedonia.
    April 9th- 20th SEVERE DEPRESSION.
    11 months off.Slowly improving

The adrenals use more Vit C than any other part of the body and I've had success using Vit. C to treat w/d-induced adrenal pain (probably inflammation from over-activity).
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

I am sorry, I have to say that I really don't know if PHOSPHATIDYLSERINE (Seriphos) is good for Adrenal Fatigue.
    I know it seems to lower high Cortisol levels, but adrenal fatigue is the contrary...LOW levels of cortisol
    I have been taken 100mgs Seriphos for my insomnia...not much results.I keep waking up, without the anxiety feeling though.
    In this process it is hard to say if any change in your symptoms are due to supplements, or time, or what...
    150mgs Effexor for 4 years 2008-2012 for situational Major Depression. No AD before
    Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months / last dose July 26th/2012 aprox.
    Acute W/D first 1-2 months
    Protracted W/D since then and slowly recovering.
    Main symptoms: Anxiety, Insomnia,Anhedonia.
    April 9th- 20th SEVERE DEPRESSION.
    11 months off.Slowly improving

Quote Originally Posted by bruno2006 View Post
    lots of people have adrenal burn out or fatigue because of the modern lifestyle full of stress, toxic food, toxic air, and the like. I am currently taking a Chinese formula to help support my adrenals and find it helpful. The main thing is to get PLENTY of rest. If you have insomnia, addressing that would be of upmost importance as during sleep is when most of the healing takes place. Some use various things to support the adrenals but I try and just rest and eat right and HOPEFULLY my body will do the rest. Some visualizations may also be helpful.
    Bruno, I've been reading about the impact of stress on our adrenals and what you say is apparently true. It's interesting that NO other life stress has ever caused this in me though. I would either exhibit the symptoms of GAD (the physiological ones, I mean, of jittery nerves, DP/ DR, etc) or slide into major depression. Of course, that was before Paxil ...
    Is your Chinese formula tailored to your needs or do you buy it over the counter? I'm wondering what the main herbs are as my naturopath uses many of the same herbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    The adrenals use more Vit C than any other part of the body and I've had success using Vit. C to treat w/d-induced adrenal pain (probably inflammation from over-activity).
    Thanks Sheila. I can't say I feel pain so I don't think inflammation is the issue. That's not to say it couldn't happen if I can't settle things though.
    My naturopath has me on 4 different supplements at the moment - primarily looking at calming my nervous system and working to address my apparent hypothyroidism. I don't think any of them have Vit C though.
    Also I had another blood test last week to look for 'reverse T3'. Apparently if its levels are too high, it stops the body from accepting T3 into the cells. (T4 is supposed to be converted into T3, which is not happening in my case.) I believe this is called "Wilson's syndrome" or "reverse T3 syndrome" and it can be reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I am sorry, I have to say that I really don't know if PHOSPHATIDYLSERINE (Seriphos) is good for Adrenal Fatigue.
    I know it seems to lower high Cortisol levels, but adrenal fatigue is the contrary...LOW levels of cortisol
    I have been taken 100mgs Seriphos for my insomnia...not much results.I keep waking up, without the anxiety feeling though.
    In this process it is hard to say if any change in your symptoms are due to supplements, or time, or what...
    Thanks Alex. I think it is a combination of a very stressful few months and withdrawal. My naturopath - who treats a number of people trying to get off these drugs - believes the majority of it is w/d.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous