Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Want to get off meds but struggling

Well, amani asked some good questions. We haven’t talked about how you should taper. Many people can make bigger drops when they’re still at the high doses, but some people can’t.

You know that our rule of thumb is 10% *of current dose* every 3-6 weeks? That means that each drop is a smaller amount than the previous one, since you’re taking 10% of the current dose, not the original dose.

So, think about what you think your first drop should be. Also, you’re going to wait to start until you’re back from the trip, right?

You’ll be able to taper off the klonopin, too. But, as you say, one thing at a time.

Since you’ve had dry heaves / vomiting during bad w/d episodes in the past, and are having them now, it just contributes to my impression that your body wants to get off these meds. It’s time for you to start collecting all the good anti-nausea remedies – ginger, peppermint, baking soda, bitters, Alka-Seltzer, etc. and start trying to give yourself some relief.

I had zero appetite during a short period in early w/d and I just made myself eat like an automaton, because it’s so important for your health to get the nutrition you need. I have only had mild, episodic nausea and it responded to those remedies.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Thanks for your post, Sheila. I can't remember if I posted about this here or not but a couple of weeks ago I tried to reduce by 2.5 mg and my headache became worse. I panicked and immediately went back up to 35 mg. The worsening headache may have been from the reduction or may have been coincidence as I have had plenty of bad headaches at the 35 mg level too. But just in case, for now I am going to be super careful with the taper and was thinking about just trying for a 1 mg reduction and see how that goes. I will hold for at least a couple of weeks if not more depending on how I am feeling. I was actually thinking about trying this experiment prior to leaving on my trip just to get started as I still have a few weeks before I go on my trip.

Thanks so much for the encouragement about the Klonopin. It freaks me out that I've been on it now for 1 year and because this Celexa taper is going to take so long, who knows how much longer I'll be on it. :(

Your comment about eating like an automaton made me laugh - that is exactly how I feel. You are lucky it only lasted a short while because this is getting really difficult now going on 3 months. Even though I do force myself to eat, I am not eating as much as I would normally and the weight loss is also freaking me out. The nausea for me is like what you describe, mild and doesn't last long and that is why I haven't needed to take anything for it. I don't get the sense that it is nausea that is causing the lack of appetite but more emotionally based. I really don't know - all I know is that it really sucks as it is the worse feeling to find food unappealing and to not want to eat. :(
    2006 Rx'd Cymbalta for approx 1 yr. WD after 4 mos - didn't realize was WD,took Zoloft and Klonopin; tapered K. Spring 2012 experienced major WD symptoms while tapering Zoloft; tried to updose but no relief, back on K 1 mg. Switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to Citalopram. Finished Zoloft 1/13; now on Citalopram 35 mg and 1 mg Klonopin. Started to experience withdrawal symptoms from switch (?) approx. 3 months after finished Zoloft (4/13). Now at 35 mg and hoping to start slow taper

Just popped in to say hi and let you know that I'm thinking of you.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

OK, sounds good. I would say plan to stay at your new dose for more like 3-4 weeks since you’re scared and have had trouble in the past.

And, think of it this way – every amount you can lower the drug is good for your health, even if you never get off. You will get off, but every decrease benefits you, and you start healing, so it doesn’t really matter how long it takes. Going slower may save you a lot of time and trouble in the long run.

Let us know when you do it.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Hi Junior,

Thank you so much for your message and for thinking about me. I've had a hard day and your thoughtful message was helpful.I've been thinking about you too. Have you been able to get some more sleep? I am hoping so!
    2006 Rx'd Cymbalta for approx 1 yr. WD after 4 mos - didn't realize was WD,took Zoloft and Klonopin; tapered K. Spring 2012 experienced major WD symptoms while tapering Zoloft; tried to updose but no relief, back on K 1 mg. Switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to Citalopram. Finished Zoloft 1/13; now on Citalopram 35 mg and 1 mg Klonopin. Started to experience withdrawal symptoms from switch (?) approx. 3 months after finished Zoloft (4/13). Now at 35 mg and hoping to start slow taper

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    OK, sounds good. I would say plan to stay at your new dose for more like 3-4 weeks since you’re scared and have had trouble in the past.

And, think of it this way – every amount you can lower the drug is good for your health, even if you never get off. You will get off, but every decrease benefits you, and you start healing, so it doesn’t really matter how long it takes. Going slower may save you a lot of time and trouble in the long run.

Let us know when you do it.
    Thanks so much for the encouragement, Sheila - it really helps. I know I am sounding like a broken record but I am indeed scared. I just feel so not well and am worried about feeling worse but.....the only way to know is to try. So on that note, I picked up the liquid Celexa today. I will start at my current dose, make sure I am tolerating the liquid ok and then I'll make my first tiny decrease. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

I hope you are doing ok,
    Michele

Quote Originally Posted by shel View Post
    Hi Junior,

Thank you so much for your message and for thinking about me. I've had a hard day and your thoughtful message was helpful.I've been thinking about you too. Have you been able to get some more sleep? I am hoping so!
    Yes I have. The amitryptline is working! yayyyyyyyyyyyy

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by shel View Post
    Thanks so much for the encouragement, Sheila - it really helps. I know I am sounding like a broken record but I am indeed scared. I just feel so not well and am worried about feeling worse but.....the only way to know is to try. So on that note, I picked up the liquid Celexa today. I will start at my current dose, make sure I am tolerating the liquid ok and then I'll make my first tiny decrease. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

I hope you are doing ok,
    Michele
    You can do this Shel. Just go slow and listen to your body. I know I've had a rough patch recently but I started off on 40mg and most of my taper has been manageable.

Some weight gain shakes (organic whey powder and such) or blended food might help with the appetite and loss of weight. I blend food (veggies mostly) because I don't feel like chewing tons of salad every day but I know it's good for me. I think of it like medicine, flooding my body with all the nutrients. Raw veggies with water can be a bit harsh for those who have digestive issues though. One way I've done in the past is to mix cooked and raw veggies together to make it easier to digest.

Babyfood for everyone... GL with the taper!
    Acceptance. Time. Habit.

Michele – Good idea to just start with the liquid at the same dose. Man, we are making a science of this! We’ve learned so much about how to do it.

Moui – Are you juicing? Because, if so, you’re losing the fiber and and I think the whole veg is better for you. Or are you eating the fiber ground up, too?

-- Holger Kalweit