Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to get off meds but struggling

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    tolerance or adverse reaction is the same, you have to taper, i never stabilize and continue to taper, wanted no more the celexa in my body, i was switched from paxil (in tolerance since years i think)to celexa, being bad, i tapered celexa about 11 months with a syringue
    Thank you for your post and for sharing your experience, Stan. I have not had a chance to read your story/journal yet and will as soon as I can as it sounds like we have similarities.
    2006 Rx'd Cymbalta for approx 1 yr. WD after 4 mos - didn't realize was WD,took Zoloft and Klonopin; tapered K. Spring 2012 experienced major WD symptoms while tapering Zoloft; tried to updose but no relief, back on K 1 mg. Switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to Citalopram. Finished Zoloft 1/13; now on Citalopram 35 mg and 1 mg Klonopin. Started to experience withdrawal symptoms from switch (?) approx. 3 months after finished Zoloft (4/13). Now at 35 mg and hoping to start slow taper

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Stan makes a good point.

OK, so your headaches sound like they’re hormonal or sort of directly chemical, as opposed to w/d-induced muscle tension or sinus congestion.

I’m so glad you’re open to the idea that this is happening for a reason and that you already have it in mind to do something with your ordeal in terms of using it to help others coming down the road after you!

I feel that many of us are being called to take up some aspect of this mission – perhaps especially the members of this “boutique” forum. :) Who knows what you will be called to do. It might be something obviously related to w/d, or it might be something less obviously related, but that still utilizes what you’ve learned and that helps people.

This has been the single most helpful thing to my coping – coming to believe that this was happening for a good reason. And I was an atheist (although interested in psi) before this.

You might find the Vanguard essay helpful for making your suffering meaningful in the context of an historic moment of which you are part --

http://antidepressantwithdrawal.info...e-The-Vanguard
    Thank you for sharing that link, Sheila. I suspect I will need to be reading that over and over as I go through this process so that I can remind myself of the "bigger picture" around all of this and my goal to help others.
    2006 Rx'd Cymbalta for approx 1 yr. WD after 4 mos - didn't realize was WD,took Zoloft and Klonopin; tapered K. Spring 2012 experienced major WD symptoms while tapering Zoloft; tried to updose but no relief, back on K 1 mg. Switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to Citalopram. Finished Zoloft 1/13; now on Citalopram 35 mg and 1 mg Klonopin. Started to experience withdrawal symptoms from switch (?) approx. 3 months after finished Zoloft (4/13). Now at 35 mg and hoping to start slow taper

Quote Originally Posted by PAROX2010 View Post
    Me too, and also tingling in the left cheek.

Well, actually I have had headaches since I was a teenager.
    I had a lot of headaches while decreasing the paxil / seroxat. After taking my last dose I had a headache every day for 3 or 4 meses.Yo almost always took ibuprofen (sometimes paracetamol). I often woke up with headaches, and persisted throughout the day.
    At present I have only occasional headache .. I think you have given good advice on how to reduce, especially listen to your body.

hugs

Tina
    Interesting that you too had left-sided headache pain with your taper and afterwards, Tina. Thank you for sharing that - it does help to know that this is something others have dealt with. I haven't even started tapering yet and my head is hurting so badly. It really scares me to even think about what reducing will do but hopefully keeping the decreases really minimal will at least not make things worse. How are you feeling these days, Tina? I was originally put on ADs for stress too. I see that you also tapered a benzo. I will have to combat that after Celexa. That may be years down the road which scares me to stay on a benzo for so long but I don't really have a choice at the moment.

Parox that is interesting. I wonder what's going on with that left-sidedness. I've seen it mentioned in other threads and forums.. in the previous WD my left cheek was sometimes numb. I always thought it was because of some sort of muscle tension as I was subconsciously clenching my jaw often.
    Acceptance. Time. Habit.

Yes, the left-side thing is interesting, for sure. Even before my AD use, whatever problems I had, including headaches, were always on my left side so it could just be that for me this is the side that is more vulnerable for whatever reason. I am left handed as well, although I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Well, I'm right handed.. but I have some left sided tendencies. I liked to snowboard the other way around than most right handed people. I had some interesting drum setups too when I used to play them. Might be overthinking this whole thing..
    Acceptance. Time. Habit.

Quote Originally Posted by shel View Post
    It really scares me to even think about what reducing will do but hopefully keeping the decreases really minimal will at least not make things worse.
    I'm pretty sure that once you start the taper, you will start to really believe it is possible. The first step is very often the most difficult one, Michele.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

I sure hope you are right, Luc. I think I am really "gun shy" as I've not been successful thus far after several attempts to get off of AD medication - even with slow tapers. But maybe the tapers were still not slow enough and this time I will be able to do this. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement, Luc.

Hi Shel,
    I am saddened that you are having troubles ..But as Luc says, and by all accounts., tapering safely is doable...I am getting ready to taper Ativan, and I am frightened because it is a benzo with a short half life, and difficult to taper ..
    Right now I am trying to get myself stable and functional before attempting a taper. Please hang in there.
    I am thinking of you .. sending you healing thoughts ..
    xx biscotaki

Hi Biscotaki,

Thanks very much for your kind message and for the healing thoughts. It makes sense that you wait to start your Ativan taper until you feel more stable. I am glad we have one another as support through this process.