Thread: Hyper-hyper-hyper Sensitivity To Light/sound/touch

Hyper-hyper-hyper Sensitivity To Light/sound/touch

Yes, in early WD it was gargantuan, the feeling like I had no skin, no protective barrier to defend me against all of the outside world's stimuli. Though it's undoubtedly improved, any unexpected sound (telephone, doors, car engine, etc ad infinitum) makes me jump up in my seat. Also, metabolising this, and other things (even those that would be considered but a silly, very short-lasting nuisance, by others), takes ages, which the very fact renders the metabolising proces a trauma itself (you just obsessively keep thinking "why won't it just go away, why a particular thought scenario is being turned over in my head again and again?".

What are your experiences on this one?

PS Very important; one more time - there's no doubt it's still improved for me, and it will keep improving, so those who may be reading this thread, and who're in earlier stages of WD, please do remember, it's only temporary.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Yup. That's exactly what it's like. Slowly, s-l-o-w-l-y, the sensory and emotional sensitivity have improved for me.

I may have mentioned this before. The refrigerator motor used to make me jump and have an adrenaline dump every time it went on or off. Now, I don't hear it. I thought there was something wrong with my heater because I was hearing it hum. As it turns out, it always hums. I just didn't notice until I developed w/d-induced bat hearing.

The first year post-w/d, I did not turn the TV on once. Now, I watch various shows, and even occasionally a bit of the news (the worst horror show available). The first year, I could only read romance novels with the simplest, happiest plots. Now, I can read mysteries, and occasionally something with painful, complex emotions in it.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

i have still sensitivity to light, in groceries, but i have also sensitivity when going in dark, sound sensitivity i do not have or mild, i can watch TV, computer since a while, and can be 7 hours on computer without problem, the problem i have is short-sighted since child and ribcage pain fire since withdrawal;
    about reading, i never read many romance books, only technical and often the same during months; it has nothing to do with withdrawal; i have more fear to be happy, thinking it is abnormal for me; maybe i am unable to be happy in life; if i recover, i will have to work on this, hope not alone;
    actually i am more emotional than sensitive, sensitive was high at the beginning; recently i am dominate by emotional reactions
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    I may have mentioned this before. The refrigerator motor used to make me jump and have an adrenaline dump every time it went on or off. Now, I don't hear it. I thought there was something wrong with my heater because I was hearing it hum. As it turns out, it always hums. I just didn't notice until I developed w/d-induced bat hearing.
    That is PRECISELY the case. It's this "sinking heart" feeling still. And, yet! (sic!), I FULLY realize it used to be much worse in early WD on average.

I so hope you're already experiencing moments, Sheila, in which, at least for a short moment, you don't think of WD. It's a long way for us, but the worst already was, and it will NEVER be back.

I'm hitting WD on the head in this emoticon, and on behalf of all of us (it provoked me, so it's in self-defense) ---->

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    i have still sensitivity to light, in groceries, but i have also sensitivity when going in dark, sound sensitivity i do not have or mild, i can watch TV, computer since a while, and can be 7 hours on computer without problem, the problem i have is short-sighted since child and ribcage pain fire since withdrawal;
    about reading, i never read many romance books, only technical and often the same during months; it has nothing to do with withdrawal; i have more fear to be happy, thinking it is abnormal for me; maybe i am unable to be happy in life; if i recover, i will have to work on this, hope not alone;
    actually i am more emotional than sensitive, sensitive was high at the beginning; recently i am dominate by emotional reactions
    You're absolutely ABLE to be happy, Stan, it's still the darn WD and its symptoms. Stay patient - pardon for the cliche, but the sky will be beautifully blue for all of us again.