Thread: Epigenetic Changes

Epigenetic Changes

I actually wanted to post this in the alternative healing section but it says I cannot due to access issues....anyways, I have been reading up on genetics and actually am waiting on a genetic profile test, mainly to see if I have the MTHFR mutation. So, there was an interesting article in Discover Magazine and this really caught my eye: "If diet and chemicals can cause epigenetic changes, could certain experiences — child neglect, drug abuse or other severe stresses — also set off epigenetic changes to the DNA inside the neurons of a person’s brain? That question turned out to be the basis of a new field, behavioral epigenetics, now so vibrant it has spawned dozens of studies and suggested profound new treatments to heal the brain."

Speaking of epigenetics, I would also like to point out that withdrawal syndrome causes epigenetic changes and that is one reason I have always been interested in the Road Back supplements because they claim to alleviate symptoms by targeting a certain gene that is associated with withdrawal. I would really like to hear some honest experiences using the Road Back approach but who can trust anyone's review nowadays without suspecting it to be marketing?

Ok so here is the article:http://discovermagazine.com/2013/may...s#.UbUB7PmmhJT
    2004: Effexor-150mg
    2006: switch to paxil-up to 40mg
    2008: after paxil taper failed, went back on effexor-250mg
    2009: quit effexor cold turkey. Switched to zoloft-100mg
    2010: zoloft taper failed, switched to celexa-30mg
    October 2011: tapered celexa in one week

sorry, title should say EPIGENETIC

Quote Originally Posted by bruno2006 View Post
    "If diet and chemicals can cause epigenetic changes, could certain experiences — child neglect, drug abuse or other severe stresses — also set off epigenetic changes to the DNA inside the neurons of a person’s brain? That question turned out to be the basis of a new field, behavioral epigenetics, now so vibrant it has spawned dozens of studies and suggested profound new treatments to heal the brain."
    There's absolutely no doubt that environment and "us" can influence our genes - for bad and for worse. I'd go one step further - according to Dr. Bruce Lipton (and others) research, genes are not even that central element in the Grand Scheme of things, but a cell membrane (the bolded part below).

The power of thought/Quantum Physics/our ability to change things around and within ourselves/Law of Attraction/Energy Healing... It all goes against the current paradigm of allopathic, reductionist Western medicine, and offers a tremendous hope for curing virtually all possible ailments there are.

http://georgefebish.wordpress.com/20...n-epigenetics/

Dr. Bruce Lipton's Biology of Belief is a good starting point;

The Biology of Belief is a groundbreaking work in the field of New Biology. Author Dr. Bruce Lipton is a former medical school professor and research scientist. His experiments, and those of other leading-edge scientists, have examined in great detail the processes by which cells receive information. The implications of this research radically change our understanding of life. It shows that genes and DNA do not control our biology; that instead DNA is controlled by signals from outside the cell, including the energetic messages emanating from our positive and negative thoughts. Dr. Lipton's profoundly hopeful synthesis of the latest and best research in cell biology and quantum physics is being hailed as a major breakthrough showing that our bodies can be changed as we retrain our thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWUu9BTi3X8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYYXq1Ox4sk
    Last edited by Luc; 06-10-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

that leads me to my next question: what kind of epigenetic changes has withdrawal syndrome caused? This has been, by far, the most difficult time in my life and, as pondered above, could this traumatic experience set off epigenetic changes in the brain?

Bruno – there are several mentions of epigenetics already on the forum –

http://www.google.com/search?site=&s...hp.pWKIdZ6hCbs

Also, search Bruce Lipton here.

The Alternatives section is more for treatment modalities. But, please do post a lot about epigenetics. We are very interested in it.

I would take any results of genetic testing with a shaker-full of salt. You could have a “bad” gene, and it could mean nothing at all for your future. They could decide in 10 years it wasn’t a bad gene after all. We are really in kindergarten when it comes to understanding what turns genes on or off or how genes interact.

Re ADs, I think everything is epigenetic, Bruno. But, all the healing things you’re doing right now are epigenetic, too.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Like in nature, everything has its "antidotum", everything can potentially be a two-way street. We have more influence on things than we can ever imagine.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.