Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Rural life

Hi Bruno,

Thank you for your message. It sounds like you know what to do for yourself to let yourself heal. Living a quiet life in the country, eating well, feeling part of nature and the planet is healing. I wish you had somewhere to go for that. It sounds like it would be just what you need. Better than the living on the street idea! Ha,ha..it would be hard to care for yourself there. Do you live right in the city? Maybe there are some programs to connect with so you could get some of what your looking for. I am thinking that many places have places in the city that do organic gardening. Maybe volunteering to help out. Just digging in the soil and planting, watering and caring for the plants is amazingly therapeutic. Watching them grow and produce. Lovely. Maybe there would be a farm too..I am thinking there are Horse Resuces in many places and they would maybe like the help and you would get to spend time grooming and caring for them. Maybe getting involved in different things so you can pick up and run with it when your feeling good and do less when your feeling bad.
    I do believe there is some value in getting back to the basics but I also realize that it isn't possible for many of us to do it on a farm and have that lifestyle. If you can that is great. If not, I do think there are other options that would be fun and let you lead a life where you have that commitment to your health.
    :O)

Over the last couple of days I have been feeling progressively better. Today I would say I felt healthier and more at peace than I have for a very long time. Even my body was functioning better. Because of feeling better I have been spending more time outside and have nice experiences because of it. (Inspite of the ticks)

The pigs have been so much more fun than I ever imagined pigs would be. They have gotten out of the barn every day now so we have decided that we will allow them to free range. What a riot! The piggies come to the house and sleep under the deck out of the sun. They are up and moving quickly when they hear our voices happy to have company. When we go out to the coral, the pigs follow...so the dogs, both cats and 3 pigs...off we go. They all get along well and greet each other nose to nose. I think it is a hoot.
    In the coral we have an old bathtub that we have set up for a watering trough as it has a plug to drain and clean it. It was a fairly warm sunny day and I guess big pig was hot so he climbed into the horses water...the bathtub and started to roll around. Then he sat up looking around for the others. I wish I had a camera with me! The horses, who are mostly accepting the pigs in their area now, came over and gave the water a sniff and looked quite indignant over the whole thing.
    In the evening, the pigs are tired from rooting around in the woods behind the house and follow us back to the barn where we simply close the gate. They will stay in for the night and push through the next day. It works pretty good as they seem to have an idea of the boundaries now.

The horses have been just amazing lately too. I feel we have turned a corner as far as bonding goes. Both of them run to the gates when they see us now. Prior they were quite indifferent to the point of rude. Max, has been so nice that I think I am building some trust in him again. He follows me around like a dog and nips the other one so as to have full attention. The mare, Bonnie, too has been very sweet. She tries to communicate and is funny. In the winter the water got very low and she wanted some fresh...so she picked up snow in her mouth and threw it. She will open her mouth and move her lips and pull faces. She is just very funny. I am not sure what she is saying but I like that she is playing with me. We have been spending at least an hour a day taking ticks off them. Bonnie loves having her tail touched and groomed and corners me now, backing up so you will scratch her behind. It is pretty funny as if you didn't know better you would think she was lining up to kick you. I think they realize that they are being cared for and love the fussing. For the first time when I screamed NOOOO!!! at the horses, when they were chasing the pigs,...they listened and backed off. I realize that doesn't sound big but it is the relationship, and he is respecting it. That makes me very happy.

Spending energy makes energy and spending it out doors while it isn't too hot is lovely and revitalizing. The lilacs are out and fragrant. I am certainly feeling more at peace here now simply because I am feeling better. I am enjoying the warm sunny days, about 21C with a light wind to blow the mosquitoes away. I hope this feeling good lasts for awhile. I can see what it should feel like.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    The pigs have been so much more fun than I ever imagined pigs would be. They have gotten out of the barn every day now so we have decided that we will allow them to free range. What a riot! The piggies come to the house and sleep under the deck out of the sun. They are up and moving quickly when they hear our voices happy to have company. When we go out to the coral, the pigs follow...so the dogs, both cats and 3 pigs...off we go. They all get along well and greet each other nose to nose.
    I'm trying to imagine it all, especially this part in bold. :) Fantastic!
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

I know Luc, it is crazy funny. As we walk out of the house with the dogs, of course the cats come and within a min the pigs come out of the woods at the back of the house and join us. We all greet each other and I scratch each pig. My smaller one Babe, just leans into my leg while I pat her. We laugh and watch why the pigs go to each dog and sniff them. The dogs have their tails wagging happy. If a pig gets too close or bothersome there will be a little barking to get them to back off. Little kitty is in the mix, and my city kitty is usually about 10 feet away watching. He doesn't mind the pigs but when they come to greet him he scrams. In the evening now we simply walk back to the barn and the pigs follow. We shut them in and they let themselves out the next afternoon. I suppose shutting them in might keep other things out..but not sure there is a purpose to it at all. Ha,ha.

On our patio stones we have a small area for a garden flowers. I have planted lettuce and Swiss Chard in it and have a little wire fence around it. Just the kind that push in. I don't know why I thought the pigs would respect it. Within 2 hours of it going in..I see it in a tangled mess on the ground about 5 ft away.
    So much for fencing. I expect they will see it as a buffet unless we can get another one up.

My City Kitty has become a great hunter. He catches mice and walks back to the house crying out. Time and time again the same thing happens...Little Kitty, runs over and takes the mouse and eats it immediately. And this happens throughout the day..I thought Little Kitty was stealing it from him but now I think my City Kitty is catching and bringing it for him as he doesn't eat them himself and when he is hungry comes back to the house looking for his special (very expensive) food given through the vet. If Little Kitty doesn't go to get it, Georgie (City Kitty) walks around with it crying out until he does come.

Pets are entertaining!

What is the current total number of them now? More boys or girls? Keep the photos coming, Joy. They are more than great.

This is a picture of the two horses coming in from the pasture and at the gate greeting us. Enjoy!
    Luc, we got rid of 2 pigs and now have just the 3. The 2 cats, 2 dogs and 2 horses. For now until I feel better this is as much as I can cope with!! :O)

Ha! I love your flexible, collaborative boundary system with the pigs. You all worked out an accord. Great animal stories. Keep ‘em coming. They’re healing for everyone to read. And healing for you to write. And probably will lead to the next step of what you want to do.

Citty Kitty is doing great hunting without claws! But he’s too civilized to want to eat that raw meat when he could have expensive, processed food.

Those were some great ideas for Bruno.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Beautiful!

That beautiful horses!. I love

hugs
    Mar/2009 (diacepam+nortriptilina).Aprl-2010 (sulpiride+diacepam). May-2010:Tranxene 20 mg+SEROXAT 20mg
    TAPER BENZO:Apr-2011 20-10mg.; Sep-Nov -2011 taper 10 a 0mg. BENZO FREE 06/11/2011
    TAPER SEROXAT: jul-ago-11: de 20 a 10 mg; Dic-11/jan-10-5mg;Apr-sep-12 5-0mg . SEROXAT FREE: 15/09/2012
    Internal tremor, brain fog, memory, lack of concentration, anxiety. Problem original: Stress