Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rural life

Rural life

I think many people are the same in that we enjoy relationships with nature and animals. When I think of getting healthy I think of back to the basics; nature as it was intended. Maybe an appreciation for our planet and the life on it is increased through our enjoyment of our pets..it is for me. If you love and care for your animals and get to see their needs and personalities, by extendtion don't you have to love our world, people in it and ourselves? I think so.

I moved to Manitoba from living an apartment in Ontario. I moved here with my partner who has had years of farming experience and dog and cat. This is my first time living in a rural area...and where we are in Manitoba is quite remote. There is just the two of us so we depend on each other a lot.
    We are both trying to live more naturally. We are learning and due to w/d, we have both become more conscious about the choices we make.
    Financially things are difficult for us so living modestly helps in that regard too.

Through the course of events I was so very fortunate to get two horses at the end of December 2012. We had 5 piglets too, with the plan to eat them..however that plan didn't go so well. We have only had them a month but we love them, so we gave 2 away and have 3 left...and I think they will be pampered piggies. There was also a barn cat on the property when we got here. He was a younger cat and stared in the windows but bolted as soon as I would open the door. We fed him and coaxed him in. Ok, some coaxing and then I grabbed him and pulled him inside where he went ballistic. But gradually over the course of the long winter he softened and now he is the biggest softie you could ever meet and he runs in as soon as we open the door to let the dogs out. We can't keep him out. My former apartment cat who is declawed, wont stay in. He is out all the time...but the barn cat..well, he just doesn't want to leave. He digs in his heels and refuses to go out the door.

I love rural life.

I have a collage I put together of most of my babies if anyone is interested in seeing them.
    I have 2 cats, they look similar. The one in the picture is my apartment kitty, Georgie. Then there is Tom, the barn cat, also known as Little Kitty, not shown in the picture. He follows me everywhere. When I go do the horses...there he is sitting in the middle of the grain feeder! I open the door any time day or night...there he is! Doing laundry downstairs in the basement I glance to the window...yup, there he is looking back! He disappeared for several days a month ago and I was so nervous. There are coyotes around here although I haven't seen any on the property. They were howling one night and Little Kitty was missing. He showed up a few days later looking a little worse for wear and has stayed put since. I realized then how much I missed him..Georgie, my once indoor apartment cat hasn't looked back since crossing the doorstep. This is a new life for him.

Josie, the white dog is my sweetheart. I got her 2 years ago and she was neglected and so frightened and timid. You wouldn't know she is the same dog. She is so happy here running and playing she literally has a smile on her face.

Toby, is the black dog. I got him since coming to Manitoba. Someone was advertising him on Kijiji and needed a home for him as they were moving out of the country and were essentially pleading for someone to help. He is an older dog, maybe 8 or 9 years old but has been wonderful. We couldn't have asked for a more lovely personality. He is loyal, happy and so good natured.

Then there are the two horses. I only have one pictured in the collage, Max. He came with his barn friend, Bonnie. There was someone looking to rehome them as well...so we took them in. Max is the gelding and I am very drawn to him. He is part of my healing journey. The mare Bonnie, she is sweet and a little daft at times. I enjoy seeing them in the pasture. For me, the real challenge is that I never grew up around horses. I am slightly afraid of the size and strength and yet I so want to be involved with them. Max is a drafty type horse. He is thick set and generally a calm nature although he does have his moments. I find him comforting to be around. Bonnie is more anxious and moves quickly. She is more my partner's horse.

Lastly, there are the pigs. We got 5 piglets with the thought of feeding them and eating them...and that didn't work out so well. They all have personalities and although my partner has done so with animals before, I am not up up to it. I am considering becoming a vegetarian. We decided to get rid of 2 so now have 3 little piggies. They are getting big and Babe, the one in the picture, is such a sweetheart. She leans into me for attention and loves to have her ears and chin scratched.

This is my family of pets that make me so happy.
    Last edited by Joy; 05-30-2013 at 11:04 PM. Reason: I always forget something!

What a great start to your Start-up thread!

That’s so funny that the city cat wants out and the country cat wants in! The grass is always greener, eh?

I love the pic of the dog and cat smiling at each other.

Back to basics is a great healing principle in the middle of a transformative illness like ours. And nature and animals are so, so helpful to our healing. All of the IAWP Founders are nature- and animal-lovers -- and the Mods, too, I think, so this is a very nature/animal-oriented group.

Even though you’re going through a health crisis, it sounds like a kind of exciting new life you’re embarking on! And, somehow, cosmically, the two are connected…..

It's interesting that your family is made up of so many rescue animals. It all feels meant to be. Like everyone you have now was meant to come to you.....
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

i like pets, today have nothing because where i live, they would be sad with me, waiting i will go out from my apartment
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Thank you Sheila, I appreciate the encouragement. Yes, the grass is always greener. Feeling bad recently I found myself complaining that I wished I never left Peterborough, or my apartment...and it went on. I remembered not having to deal with some of the stuff I am. I had asked my partner to look, as I wanted to move..but today, as I am feeling better, I feel completely different. It feels doable again. I would have been surviving back in the situation I was in..and now, inspite of some hardships, I feel like I am living and have hope that things will be better. Being appreciative of what you have and where you are is helpful. Looking too much behind and second guessing yourself makes me unhappy and usually means I am not being very realistic to how things were. I did make some changes for a reason. My brain becomes side tracked sometimes and I can't see the good.

I love that you looked at the picture of the dog and cat and saw them as smiling..ha,ha..they were relatively new to each other and this picture was taken slightly before the cat put the dog in a headlock. I have that pic too.

Back to basics is a great healing principle in the middle of a transformative illness like ours.
    I LOVE THAT SENTENCE! You are right, this is a transformative illness. But don't you think that everyone that is brave enough to take on the challenge of addressing the medication w/d issues has been progressive..already seeking to transform? They are ready and open to seeing things in a new light which is maybe how change happens. I just loved the way you summed it up.

Thank you, and yes, maybe we were drawn together!

Do you have pets Sheila?

Joy

Hi Stan,
    How are you doing Stan? Having pets is wonderful, but it is a big responsiblity too. And I know when I had the dog in the apartment there were times when having to get her out was a real chore. Also, when I have had money problems I worried something would happen and I wouldn't be able to care for them.
    Not having them doesn't mean you don't appreciate them. If you want company of a cat or dog though, and feel up to caring for them, they are lovely!!
    Joy

ps. Stan, I love reading your messages, because of the language difference they make me smile!

Stan,
    The picture you have up..was that your dog?
    Joy

Fantastic thread, Joy! Such beautiful animals...

This part is I like a lot;

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    We have only had them a month but we love them, so we gave 2 away and have 3 left...and I think they will be pampered piggies.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thank you Luc. I hope others will enjoy it. And thank you for the compliment. But picture the beautiful dogs, thilthy. Josie, the once white dog has developed a passion for rolling in poop. She loves to come visit the animals. They both do, and when we come back she has black streaks of manure on her back and the side of her face. It happens daily. She KNOWS what a bath is! There is one in the basement and she walks down the stairs and into the shower. You would think she would run from it but she happily complies. The price to pay I suppose.
    xox

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Yes, an apartment block makes it hard to get out with animals. But you can enjoy mine! Tell her she can name the last two. They are both females. One is as tall as my knee now. She is pink with large black patches. The other one is smaller, below the knee and is mostly pink with smaller black patches and dots across the lower back and pink ears. They both love the attention. Tell your daughter if she would like to pick one, I will send her a picture of it periodically and give her some updates about it. She can sort of adopt it or both. Maybe I could send the info. through your direct messages here on IAWP so I can gear it to your daughter?
    great idea, Joy

I like, I like, I like. Images precious animals.
    I will show my daughter's the photos of the little pig. Will be great to have adopted in Manitoba. Also I will show you a map so you know where it is Manitoba.
    The animals, though have to take care and pamper them, we provide an extra supply of energy, and I think we connect with Mother Earth .... , well, except ticks, Not good connect too with ticks, hahahal

Big hugs
    Mar/2009 (diacepam+nortriptilina).Aprl-2010 (sulpiride+diacepam). May-2010:Tranxene 20 mg+SEROXAT 20mg
    TAPER BENZO:Apr-2011 20-10mg.; Sep-Nov -2011 taper 10 a 0mg. BENZO FREE 06/11/2011
    TAPER SEROXAT: jul-ago-11: de 20 a 10 mg; Dic-11/jan-10-5mg;Apr-sep-12 5-0mg . SEROXAT FREE: 15/09/2012
    Internal tremor, brain fog, memory, lack of concentration, anxiety. Problem original: Stress