Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ADHD "Fictitious Disease"

ADHD "Fictitious Disease"

INVENTOR OF ADHD'S DEATHBED CONFESSION: "ADHD IS A FICTITIOUS DISEASE"
    Wednesday, March 27th 2013
    By Moritz Nestor, Current Concerns
    Source

ADHD HoaxFortunately, the Swiss National Advisory Commission on Biomedical Ethics (NEK, President: Otfried Höffe) critically commented on the use of the ADHD drug Ritalin in its opinion of 22 November 2011 titled Human enhancement by means of pharmacological agents: The consumption of pharmacological agents altered the child’s behavior without any contribution on his or her part.

That amounted to interference in the child’s freedom and personal rights, because pharmacological agents induced behavioral changes but failed to educate the child on how to achieve these behavioral changes independently. The child was thus deprived of an essential learning experience to act autonomously and emphatically which “considerably curtails children’s freedom and impairs their personality development”, the NEK criticized.

The alarmed critics of the Ritalin disaster are now getting support from an entirely different side. The German weekly Der Spiegel quoted in its cover story on 2 February 2012 the US American psychiatrist Leon Eisenberg, born in 1922 as the son of Russian Jewish immigrants, who was the “scientific father of ADHD” and who said at the age of 87, seven months before his death in his last interview: “ADHD is a prime example of a fictitious disease”

Since 1968, however, some 40 years, Leon Eisenberg’s “disease” haunted the diagnostic and statistical manuals, first as “hyperkinetic reaction of childhood”, now called “ADHD”. The use of ADHD medications in Germany rose in only eighteen years from 34 kg (in 1993) to a record of no less than 1760 kg (in 2011) – which is a 51-fold increase in sales! In the United States every tenth boy among ten year-olds already swallows an ADHD medication on a daily basis. With an increasing tendency.

When it comes to the proven repertoire of Edward Bernays, the father of propaganda, to sell the First World War to his people with the help of his uncle’s psychoanalysis and to distort science and the faith in science to increase profits of the industry – what about investigating on whose behalf the “scientific father of ADHD” conducted science? His career was remarkably steep, and his “fictitious disease” led to the best sales increases. And after all, he served in the “Committee for DSM V and ICD XII, American Psychiatric Association” from 2006 to 2009. After all, Leon Eisenberg received “the Ruane Prize for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Research. He has been a leader in child psychiatry for more than 40 years through his work in pharmacological trials, research, teaching, and social policy and for his theories of autism and social medicine”.

ADHD HoaxAnd after all, Eisenberg was a member of the “Organizing Committee for Women and Medicine Conference, Bahamas, November 29 – December 3, 2006, Josiah Macy Foundation (2006)”. The Josiah Macy Foundation organized conferences with intelligence agents of the OSS, later CIA, such as Gregory Bateson and Heinz von Foerster during and long after World War II. Have such groups marketed the diagnosis of ADHD in the service of the pharmaceutical market and tailor-made for him with a lot of propaganda and public relations? It is this issue that the American psychologist Lisa Cosgrove and others investigated in their study Financial Ties between DSM-IV Panel Members and the Pharmaceutical Industry7. They found that “Of the 170 DSM panel members 95 (56%) had one or more financial associations with companies in the pharmaceutical industry. One hundred percent of the members of the panels on ‘Mood Disorders’ and ‘Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders’ had financial ties to drug companies. The connections are especially strong in those diagnostic areas where drugs are the first line of treatment for mental disorders.” In the next edition of the manual, the situation is unchanged. “Of the 137 DSM-V panel members who have posted disclosure statements, 56% have reported industry ties – no improvement over the percent of DSM-IV members.” “The very vocabulary of psychiatry is now defined at all levels by the pharmaceutical industry,” said Dr Irwin Savodnik, an assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California at Los Angeles.

ADHD HoaxThis is well paid. Just one example: The Assistant Director of the Pediatric Psychopharmacology Unit at Massachusetts General Hospital and Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School received “$1 million in earnings from drug companies between 2000 and 2007”. In any case, no one can easily get around the testimony of the father of ADHD: “ADHD is a prime example of a fictitious disease.”

The task of psychologists, educators and doctors is not to put children on the “chemical lead” because the entire society cannot handle the products of its misguided theories of man and raising children, and instead hands over our children to the free pharmaceutical market. Let us return to the basic matter of personal psychology and education: The child is to acquire personal responsibility and emphatic behavior under expert guidance – and that takes the family and the school: In these fields, the child should be able to lead off mentally. This constitutes the core of the human person.

http://www.worldpublicunion.org/
    Last edited by Luc; 05-25-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Introducing paragraphs

“The very vocabulary of psychiatry is now defined at all levels by the pharmaceutical industry,”
    And it's been such for a long time now...

Thank you for sharing, Joy. Oh yes, Bernays was a master manipulator;
    When it comes to the proven repertoire of Edward Bernays, the father of propaganda
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiKMmrG1ZKU
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

I put in the paragraphs in the article to make it easier to read. :)
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thanks Luc. I just thought it was interesting. I was telling a friend about my wd experience and she sent me this, so I take it she understood my point. :O)

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Thank you Sheila, that sheds a better light on it!

Can I just say that ADHD is real. Just not in anywhere near the numbers Big Pharma would have us believe. I say this because my son has it - unquestionably - alongside his autism and intellectual disability. He literally WRIGGLED off his change table at just 3.5 months of age. Being autistic - which of course I didn't know when he was only a few months old - he didn't like batting at toys hung from a frame while he lay on the floor. But being hyper, he was thoroughly bored and drove me nuts. I used to have to sit on the floor and entertain him while eating my lunch. Once he walked, well he rarely walked, he ran everywhere. And he was incredibly clumsy. He tripped over his own feet. Things got broken consistently. Not because he was intentionally doing anything but because he couldn't control his motor activity. As he ran past a table, something would get knocked off, for example. And if he got over-excited, oh my lord. He'd start wildly throwing things and windows or something else would get broken. I'm talking about a kid of about 3 yrs of age. Oh yeah, forgot the baths. Once he was old enough that I could leave him while in the bath, I'd hear this loud swishing of water and it would be all over the floor. So much so that I needed a rowboat to get from the door to the bath! It would also be all over the ceiling, walls and mirrors. Oh you guys have no idea. THIS is ADHD. And this version benefits greatly from medication. When we were forced (long story - he was reacting to me falling ill suddenly and spending two weeks in hospital) to put him on medication - he was able to indicate how much better he felt ON it. It stopped his brain from going 100 miles per hour. He was able to sit and concentrate on one activity and not flit around. I even remember getting excited because he was able to peel the paper off crayons. LOL!

BUT - I find there is a LOT of misinformation and misunderstanding as to what this syndrome actually is. From what I have seen and heard over the years ( my son is now 23) the majority of people given this label DO NOT have it. People to this day still think over-activity / high energy levels means ADHD. It doesn't. Genuine ADHD is where people really struggle with their impulse control. No matter how many limits are set, how much times you teach them what is right or wrong, how they should behave, etc - they simply cannot control it. It can destroy their self-esteem. But just having excess energy - especially in young boys - means nothing more than the child needing an outlet. (I often think a bit of old-fashioned discipline would help a lot too.)

I also realised, when my son was diagnosed, that my husband has it too. He has always had it, right from when I first met him. I just didn't know what it was. This is a reasonably intelligent guy who has a good job. But he has very poor problem-solving ability and poor fine motor skills. These are part of the syndrome. He can literally barely change a light bulb - but he is a qualified accountant and is very good at reading financial markets. Oh and he also can't change the windscreen wiper on his car which I thought was hilarious. He couldn't figure out how to twist it around and pull it off - as described in the manual. (This was only a few months ago.) We've both learned to live with it :D He is regularly up at 5.30am for work and doesn't go to bed until @10.30-11pm. He commutes two hours daily to work and also goes running 2-3 times a week, as well as attending PD activities for his CPA and other professional bodies' requirements. Come the weekend and he'll get up early on one of the days to go running - 5k or more then go out to some sporting event or something. He doesn't really like spending a whole day at home because he gets 'bored'. He is 54 and has never really slowed down. Well maybe a little. He's not running marathons anymore :D
    Oh - and he is NOT medicated.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Good Lord, Junior, your household sounds exhausting!

Yes, people definitely come in different flavors. We´re not all the same.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Good Lord, Junior, your household sounds exhausting!
    Haha. My son is not like that anymore. Some of it he grew out of. The rest we have controlled with meds. One of them, I'm sorry to say, is an SSRI (fluoxetine). And that is a whole other journey. I tried to wean him off. OMG. The w/d was bad enough but I think we could have got through that. But the reality is that he just doesn't have and never will have the ability to cope with the anxiety he experiences. And if he doesn't cope - neither do we! It's really hard all round. Reluctantly I put him back on his full 'therapeutic' dose a couple of months ago. We are still dealing with the fallout. His nervous system is still very sensitive. I know the answer. Time. So we just have to wait. I'm also giving him some of my Neurocalm which helps considerably.

I only wish I could control my husband ...
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Hi Junior,
    Thank you for sharing about your family. Wow, it does sound like it would be a busy time at your home!! I apologize it it sounded like I was trivializing ADHD. I mostly posted it as something for people to talk about so I do hope I didn't offend. I am glad your son was able to get some relief by having medications. Life is tough enough but I am glad your son has parents that understand him and can help him through the emotional turmoil he must have. I hope it settles down soon.
    Respectfully, Joy