I was diagnosed with very high blood pressure a couple of months ago of 180/115. I was put on medication but I had trouble with it increasing w/d symptoms. Currently I am taking Amlodipine. Prescription is for 10mg/day. I had taken for one week but it was causing problems with my w/d. Some problems may be caused directly from the medication itself. I became very lethargic and spent 80% of my day in bed sleeping or just laying quietly. Depressed mood and could feel a heaviness that made it very difficult to speak or read out loud. Verbalizing, looking for words etc. This i have come to know as a w/d symptom for me when I am not doing well. Also very reactive, anxiety and slight swelling int he feet and ankles. I decided to decrease the medication to 5mg and this got rid of the worst of the symptoms. I remained at 5mg for the next 3 weeks. Blood pressure went down to 145/90 as of 2 weeks ago. The doctor thinks still to high and wants to add more medications and/or a water pill. I don't want that and we are holding out for another 2 weeks to check on it again. The other day I checked and it was 158/90! And I was having a good day.
So...I have put myself back up to 10mg/day and again the symptoms are back. I am having horrible neuro emotion/anxiety/distress. Crying and not able to handle any stress without getting very upset. I have itching and am very agitated inside.
Does anyone have any advice??
For a few days before this realization I was finding my symptoms had softened. Not exactly a window but certainly more workable.
My guess is that any medication will cause the same thing to happen. Last time it took 2 days to clear from my system and I seemed to do better emotionally again. I am hoping for the same this time. At 180/115 I was very sick with BP. Not exactly the silent killer it is suppose to be. So I need to get the level down. I am on day 2 of having it at 10mg...I don't know if I can make it a full week..possible the w/d symptoms could lessen as my body gets use to the drug? My doctor is not understanding about the whole idea of withdrawal so I am not getting any help or suggestions about how to better manage things.
Thank you,
joy