Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top Psychiatric Medicines Prescribed in 2011 (only in U.S.)

Top Psychiatric Medicines Prescribed in 2011 (only in U.S.)

Some of you may one day need to show these statistics to others/post them somewhere on the Web. Shocking numbers but such is a reality. I am posting the data for U.S. as it is the easiest to find. There are statistics for more countries - you just need to google a bit.

1 Xanax (alprazolam) 47.7 (millions)

2 Celexa (citalopram) 37.8

3 Zoloft (sertraline) 37.2

4 Atvian (lorezepam) 27.1

5 Prozac (fluoxetine HCl) 24.5

6 Lexapro (escitalopram) 23.7

7 Desyrel (trazodone HCl) 22.6

8 Cymbalta (duloxetine) 17.7

9 Valium (diazepam) 14.6

10 Seroquel (quetiapine) 14.2

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/labs/li.../cn3000923.pdf
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Almost are ordered most dangerous / less dangerous

Xanax (alprazolam), the most dangerous ... 47.7 million. It is demential
    Mar/2009 (diacepam+nortriptilina).Aprl-2010 (sulpiride+diacepam). May-2010:Tranxene 20 mg+SEROXAT 20mg
    TAPER BENZO:Apr-2011 20-10mg.; Sep-Nov -2011 taper 10 a 0mg. BENZO FREE 06/11/2011
    TAPER SEROXAT: jul-ago-11: de 20 a 10 mg; Dic-11/jan-10-5mg;Apr-sep-12 5-0mg . SEROXAT FREE: 15/09/2012
    Internal tremor, brain fog, memory, lack of concentration, anxiety. Problem original: Stress

Almost 1 in 6 Americans is taking Xanax. Shit!

And, um, it appears that we are an anxious people…..

Probably *because* we're taking so many meds.....
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

It'd be really interesting to find out how many people exactly are taking ADs/benzos worldwide. Pity it's just impossible - at least for now - only some countries keep data on it. That it's "hundreds of millions" is beyond any doubt though.

I notice that Paxil/Seroxat is not on the list, apparantly even doctors start to realize how dangerous it is.

By the way, yesterday I visited my GP,because we had agreed to meet on a half-year base. She now fully believes me, praised my work on the AD/WD fora and said she would never prescribe Seroxat to anyone anymore. So the shift indeed is going on!

And I would not say that Seroquel is the least dangerous, AFAIK it is a very dangerous antipsychotic which makes people lazy and fat and causes diabetes in the longer term. I would guess Valium is the least dangerous, my mother has used it about 30 years ago when my father left us, it has helped her tremendously and she was able to get off without major problems.
    Last edited by Claudius; 05-15-2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: interpunction
    Recovering from the ravages of withdrawal after 5 years on Paxil/Seroxat, originally prescribed for stress and, looking backward, PTSS.
    Though it is hardly possible to get something positive from the utter hell of repeated c/t's and protracted w/d, all of this unnecessary, I still believe in the possiblity to emerge from this as a healed, wiser human being.
    All we need is just a little patience - Guns N' Roses

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    By the way, yesterday I visited my GP,because we had agreed to meet on a half-year base. She now fully believes me, praised my work on the AD/WD fora and said she would never prescribe Seroxat to anyone anymore. So the shift indeed is going on!
    Oh my, my jaw dropped - unbelievable is becoming a standard these days. Fantastic news, Claudius!

I've taken 4 of the 10! Yikes!
    QUESTION: Has anyone taken Kava Kava? I was wondering if it would be a good alternative to Trazodone in the future should I need sleep help?

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    She now fully believes me, praised my work on the AD/WD fora and said she would never prescribe Seroxat to anyone anymore. So the shift indeed is going on!
    great news

Claudio, you're right, I think I was a bit impetuous to respond.

I said so because Xanax and Ativan saw the top of the list. On the list is not chlordiazepoxide (Librium), nor the Cloracepate (Tranxene). The old benzos (Librium, Tranxene) are less aggressive than benzo new generation, so my thought was: oh, the most dangerous benzos are the most prescribed!.
    gran noticia

A greeting
    Mar/2009 (diacepam+nortriptilina).Aprl-2010 (sulpiride+diacepam). May-2010:Tranxene 20 mg+SEROXAT 20mg
    TAPER BENZO:Apr-2011 20-10mg.; Sep-Nov -2011 taper 10 a 0mg. BENZO FREE 06/11/2011
    TAPER SEROXAT: jul-ago-11: de 20 a 10 mg; Dic-11/jan-10-5mg;Apr-sep-12 5-0mg . SEROXAT FREE: 15/09/2012
    Internal tremor, brain fog, memory, lack of concentration, anxiety. Problem original: Stress

to Miranda,
    kava kava
    i read on internet it can cause problems in liver, and if taken toguether with a psychotropic; so it has to be taken alone apparently
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Claudius -- Bravo on the work you did with your prescriber! Yes, in the US, Paxil is being prescribed less -- yet there does not seem to be more awareness of Paxil w/d. How does that work?

Miranda -- Stan is right about some people having had problems with kava while on prescription meds. But, it may only have been three people and I'm not sure what meds they were on.

OTOH, kava has been used by humans for thousands of years. And I think it's so effective that Big Pharma would like to ruin its reputation. I use it from time to time.

So, do your own research and decide what you think.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit