Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with protracted withdrawal - Biscotaki

Need help with protracted withdrawal - Biscotaki

Hello,
    I have been off AD 'S for 3 months. It was a quick taper, and I have been in this nightmare ..
    My problems are in my head mostly, with dizziness, unsteadiness, bizarre sensations like numbness and tingling. I was hoping that as time goes by, that the symptoms may lessen, but it is not so ..It seems that new ones are added.
    I also have neurological issues, such as trembling and tingling in my body.
    I have insomnia, and terrible anxiety. These past two weeks my breathing is giving me a problem.
    I take Ativan ( 0.5) Mg 4 times a day, but it does not help me at all. I think that I may be going through tolerance withdrawal from it ..
    I would like to begin a safe taper, but am not sure how ..
    Please, if anyone can tell me if you know others having the head issues, I would appreciate it. Also any other suggestions as to how to cope with all these withdrawals, please respond ..
    Wishing everyone a peaceful day. Thank you for reading this ..

Hello, Biscotaki. Welcome to IAWP!

Yes, the symptoms you're describing sound like WD. Usually the taper should be done by 10% drops every 3-6 weeks, so yours was very fast, unless you had taken SSRIs for a short time.

What ADs did you take, how long did you take them, and at what doses? Also, how long have you been taking Ativan? The more info you give us, the better we will be able to help you. Hang in there!
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Aww, Luc thank you ..
    I have been taking various AD 'S since Six years ago, for Hyperthyroid ..I was ill on all of them ..finally the beginning of this year I went to a clinic where they tapered two AD 'S in fifteen Days ..! ( ten ml. Lexapro, and twenty five mgs Sertraline)
    I have not seen a peaceful day since ..my doctor does not believe in protracted withdrawel..
    The Ativan I have been taking the same time frame, but sporadically ..Until last year when I became debilitated while on Sertraline ..Then I began taking the four ..
    Today, I feel completely weak ..my head feels so very dizzy, numb and heavy ..Totally unnerving and scarry ..Have you heard of this ..? Thank you again, I am grateful ..

The doctor did try to reinstate the last dose he dropped, which was 12.5mg Sertraline about two weeks after the taper "but my BP went up ..At which point he abandoned any further attempts ..

Welcome, biscotaki! I like your username. Does it have a story?

All of your symptoms are typical of both antidepressant withdrawal (w/d) and benzo tolerance or interdose w/d. Ultimately, you will heal and be fine, but let’s see if there’s something we can do to ease things for you.

It sounds like you felt ill on all the ADs the whole 6 years you were on them and that you cannot tolerate the Sertraline. How about the Lexapro? Is it possible that you might tolerate that? I’m thinking just a very low dose like 2 – 2.5 mg to take the edge off your w/d while minimizing side effects.

I’m not saying this is the only way to go, but it’s one possibility. Then, you would stabilize and taper off again ultra-slowly.

It doesn’t seem like you’re in condition to taper off the Ativan yet. I’m not sure about this, but I think some people who are having interdose benzo w/d and don’t want to increase their dosage have made their own water solution of their Ativan and then take the same total amount in smaller more frequent doses. Maybe someone who knows about benzos will comment, or you can ask on a benzo forum.

What’s happening with the hyperthyroid? Are you taking thyroid meds for that? Have you checked your levels recently?

Did you become hyperthyroid 6 years ago? Was that before you took any psych med? Why were you pescribed ADs and a benzo for hyperthyroidism?
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Aww thank you so much Sheila ..I am grateful for your care ..
    Well the Hyperthyroid has been in remission for sometime.
    I do not take medication any more for it ..And I do follow up with blood tests every 3 months ..The condition was causing some anxiety, and so my Internist at the time prescribed AD ( Paxil), and the Ativan. I was not educated in these types of medications, and so I thought the doctor knew best ..I had problems with them from the beginning ..Ataxia, depression, dizziness ..And so they would be changed, from Paxil to Prozac, to Paxil CR, to Lexapro to Sertraline, and to taper, Lexapro and Sertraline for cushion I was told ..
    Meantime with each I became unable to function ..I became debilitated ..I was suffering from prolonged panic attacks, while on these drugs, and each time I attempted to taper ..Various doctors I went to, did not have a clue as to how to help, or even what was happening to me. .. And yes, I became Hyperthyroid 6years ago ...I too think that the Ativan is hurting Meg ..I feel it ...I need to read again how to manage it and the solution you are suggesting ..I have been in horrible distress with head issues all day, and my brain is shot ..
    Sheila, all of these meds caused me unbearable distress ..I cannot think of one being better than the other to reinstate ..
    Maybe you can sense that I am frightened of them ..What to do??
    May God bless you for the support and encouragement you are offering me ..

Sheila, these drugs were yanked in January 2013, within 15 days ..I have been off them now for a little over 3 months ..Do you think it will be safe to reinstate? I am worried also about my BP reacting ..
    If I reinstate say Lexapro, what would be worst case scenario?
    I am grateful ..Thank you ..
    Ps. Which benzo site would you recommend? I have not thought to look ..
    Wishing you peacefulness, and blessings :)

hello Biscotaki,

i had all you describe since the beginning, today i am still bad but was more years than you on meds, and have some improvements; the only way will be to be free of meds, but before you need to look as Sheila said, take maybe a small dose of some;
    you have classic withdrawal symptomes, weakness, dizzy, trembling, etc... , your nerves are in chaos, they need to stabilize, to calm, and often it takes time; the BP i had also, even today but with time it is much better
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Aww Stan, I am saddened that you are going through this ugly situation too :(
    Thank you for responding, and thank you for trying to put my mind at ease ..I am very blessed to find this wonderful site .
    May God bless you all, for doing this work, for trying to bring some peace and wellness to broken, and hurting people ..
    I wish you a peaceful day ..:)

Welcome Biscotaki!

I am sorry to hear your in such distress. I too am new to this site and it is helpful to realize that what you are feeling is real. Others have and are feeling similar things. It is also reassuring to know that there is a cause to it...and that our bodies and brains will heal. I struggle some days more than others, it is a challenge. I also developed a blood pressure problems and a host of other symptoms.
    To cope I stay away from anything that seems to stimulate my nervous system...and incorporate things that are soothing to it.
    I hope you find some relief. I have found that it seems to run it's course however regular sleep and eating well make a huge difference if you are able to manage that.
    Hang in there!
    Joy