Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My story

Hi Miranda, glad you are here and getting help with a slow taper from the years of meds. I look forward to hearing your progress as you make it to the other side. Best wishes to you and your family.

Thank you m&m.

I decided to stop the Prozac all together it's been 2 1/2 weeks since my last dose and so far I feel great. Looking over my journal I have only taken 3mgs in the last 33 days. So here's my delema...I had to up my trazodone the last few nights because I wasn't sleeping much. My prescription is for 25-50mgs per night. I was taking 25 but 'm ow am taking 50 just the last 3 nights...now I am tired today. Should I go back to 25 before I get used to 50? And how long would you recommend I stabilize before tapering trazodone? I was planning on waiting until next spring, I am a little nervous but sick of taking chemicals. I know when I taper this time to go slower at 10% every 2-3 weeks (right)? Will I need a compound pharmacists or is there a way to cut the pills?

Thanks

If it's only possible, I wouldn't up the Trazodone, Miranda. You don't want to trade one addictive drug for another. What your body needs now, is simply stabilising after the Prozac taper. I think the best way is to now listen to your body. You need to make sure that it's ready for the next of the tapers. There's absolutely no rush with it. 2 weeks may be not enough - sometimes our bodies react to their being off of drugs with quite a delay.

Re the recent insomina - had you experienced it while you were still on the Prozac, or it appeared just now?

Yes, the 10% drops every 3-6 weeks method is the way to go. You can use the liquid, use the pill-cutter, water titration method, or shave the pills off with the file.
    Last edited by Luc; 05-12-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Hi Luc,
    Last night I went back to the 25mgs and if it weren't for my sick chihuahua Peanut, l think I would have slept through the night. My original insomnia didn't start until after starting Prozac but it's been so long that I've relied on Trazodone that even a slightly poor night sleep worries me. Last time I tapered I tapered trazodone first, then Prozac after 2 weeks I was doing fine until 6-8 weeks out when all of the sudden, everything, everyone, irritated me. So maybe I should give it a few months keeping the 25mgs steady then taper really slow. I might have to move Peanuts kennel downstairs because I think she is my biggest problem with not sleeping. She wakes me up every night at least once. She will hate sleeping away from me and I feel sad.
    I didn't think I could get liquid trazodone in the United states. Can I because liquid is so easy to measure.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    Last time I tapered I tapered trazodone first, then Prozac after 2 weeks I was doing fine until 6-8 weeks out when all of the sudden, everything, everyone, irritated me. So maybe I should give it a few months keeping the 25mgs steady then taper really slow.
    This would be one more reason to take it easy for still some time, Miranda. These drugs can be incredibly sneaky. Once you make sure all is ok, you'll be able to start the taper, start healing and eventually leave this nightmare behind you.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Ok I will wait...

Nightmare is a good word for this crazy experience!

How is your dog? Is he going to be ok? Hope he isn't too bad sick.

i cannot respond to your email because your box is full
    2004: Effexor-150mg
    2006: switch to paxil-up to 40mg
    2008: after paxil taper failed, went back on effexor-250mg
    2009: quit effexor cold turkey. Switched to zoloft-100mg
    2010: zoloft taper failed, switched to celexa-30mg
    October 2011: tapered celexa in one week