Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My story

I wanted to say again I really think it’s so great that you’ve seen the light. So many relationships are being ruined because either no one realizes it’s the meds, or someone does, but the person on the meds is too spellbound to hear the truth. So many, many relationships of all types are being affected by this invisible epidemic that it blows my mind.

OK, so you are on 0.5 mg of Prozac every other day and 12.5 mg Trazadone daily? And you were only on 5 mg of Prozac to start with.

I don’t know why Breggin recommends his method. I adore Breggin for his political activism and his whistleblowing about drugs and his advocacy of psychodynamic therapy. But, as Luc says, we may have seen more people go through w/d than he has. Nobody is perfect. Breggin excels at many things.

Also, you’re taking Prozac, which has the longest half-life and is therefore the most forgiving of the ADs when it comes to tapering. That may be why you can get away with this every other day schedule. it just doesn’t matter as much with Prozac. It would be more of an issue with the ones that have a less than 24 hour half-life like Paxil, Effexor, and Cymbalta.

However, you say you are very sensitive to ADs, so I would still consider going to your next drop, whatever it is, and moving to daily dosing. What dose are you going to stop at?
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Red face Sheila

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for talking with me and addressing my post directly I appreciate that very much. Yes, I am on 12.5 mg of Trazodone and .01 liquid Prozac (technically just under ½ mg) every other day. I could potently stop the Prozac now, but I am trying to be safe and it is difficult to go down to less than that with the syringe I have even though it is tiny. It’s hard to stop at .01 without pushing it out of the syringe. I realize if I were taking another shorter half-life antidepressant this would be a problem. This is why I chose to do it in this manner. I’ve gone round the block and have educated myself extensively. The reason I joined this group was to share with like-minded people while supporting and encouraging one another.

Okey-dokey. So what do you think you want to do next? Stay at this dose for awhile? Find a way to take a smaller amount? Or do the Breggin thing of taking it fewer days each week?

Listen to your body and your intuition! Maybe ask for another sign?

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

I def will pray and let you know. One thing I have noticed is I am a little defensive and I apologize. Do you think this might be withdrawal related because it is not my nature?

Hi Luc,

I was thinking about how I’ve changed getting off the Prozac and I am doing quite well. The only thing that stands out to me as a possible side effect is irritability. I am so sorry you got the brunt of it. I know you are trying to help and I admire what you are doing with this website and forum. I understand why you said what you did about the 10% rule it is universal and safe and works most of the time with a wide variety of medications. I think I am just so tired of being medicated I was frustrated and liked what I read in Dr Breggin’s book. It seemed like something that might work with me. Anyway, thank you for what you are doing to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    I def will pray and let you know. One thing I have noticed is I am a little defensive and I apologize. Do you think this might be withdrawal related because it is not my nature?
    It's absolutely WD, Miranda. I can't remember if you know of "neuro-emotions"? Just in case, here's the thread about it. It helps a lot. http://antidepressantwithdrawal.info...-Neuro-emotion

Emotions in WD are unlike anything else. Only those who have experienced it first-hand are able to understand it.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    I think I am just so tired of being medicated I was frustrated and liked what I read in Dr Breggin’s book. It seemed like something that might work with me. Anyway, thank you for what you are doing to help.
    I perfectly understand what you mean here. Plus, we all differ - some folks prefer going off of the small dose faster than others and it sometimes works better that way. The most important, I think, is to listen to one's body and trust your inner feelings.

One thing for sure - your body will be able to get better no matter what.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

I certainly thought you were very appreciative and open-minded! But, if you notice you’re more defensive than usual, yup, that’s w’d.

OTOH, re-reading the thread, it is also possible that the neuro-emotion you’re having is over-apologeticness! Because you have been very respectful and appreciative. You’re certainly allowed to ask questions and disagree! :)

-- Holger Kalweit

I read the Neuro-emotion page. It is good to have a name for this symptom and to understand it is frontal lobe related. I can understand my emotions better...it's almost like temporary brain damage. I know I’ve read about CBI but I think this is different….so glad it doesn't last forever!

Thanks again

Yup, you got it! The brain is sooooooooooooo neuroplastic. It is always changing itself to adapt to the current environment. You take away the toxic meds and add good food, exercise, passionate work, etc, and your brain changes.

-- Holger Kalweit