Thread: Getting better but scared.

Getting better but scared.

Hello everybody.I have been thinking about posting about this feeling-idea-Symptom?

As I have been telling you, I have been noticing improvement in the sense that symptoms are not as intense as they used to be, and I feel an overall improvement even though VERY slow.

BUT, (I don´t know how to say this) I have the tendency to read the extreme long term recovery cases and I repeat, even though I can feel improvement, I get really scared and my mind jumps from one scenario to another: 18-24 months to be MUCH better...(that´s the norm??)and 5-8 years and still struggling.

I´m 60 years old, I don´t have that much time!

Does anybody else feels this way??

What a scary thing this is...I quit AD to have a BETTER LIFE.....!

8 months Effexor free after 4 years on 150mgs no meds since

I feel the same. 4 years on 20mg paxil, adverse reaction, 8 months off NO IMPROVEMENT

For me it took about 19 months to exoerience a first improvement and had even since then an extremely harsh road to recovery. I can imangine that you feel too old for this. I as "only" 40 when I entered this hellish road but it was a crucial age too, it is an age that employers exceot you to have a solid working experience and also the age that the concurrence of younger and better educated people begins to work against you.
    There is never a good time/age for WD, imagine being on school or university and missing 4-6 years, which is equal to a complete course. Those people are even wose off, unable to do their schooltime over.
    I think that at an older age, you are in some way even better able to continue your normal, pre-WD life.
    Recovering from the ravages of withdrawal after 5 years on Paxil/Seroxat, originally prescribed for stress and, looking backward, PTSS.
    Though it is hardly possible to get something positive from the utter hell of repeated c/t's and protracted w/d, all of this unnecessary, I still believe in the possiblity to emerge from this as a healed, wiser human being.
    All we need is just a little patience - Guns N' Roses

Every single person, even if in some cases so slowly, starts to improve, Alex. It looks like you are already on this path. The neuro-thoughts and scares you're experiencing are perfectly normal in a WD, but they will be getting less and less intense.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Alex -- Remember, even though you are doing better, you are still prone to neuro-emotion. And neuro-anxiety will find *something* to worry about. If it were not one thing, it would be another. Most people recover from ADs quickly.

Claudius -- You make a very good point. There is no good time to recover from ADs. But, I think it's hardest for the teenagers because they have no point of reference to a pre-drug self. I believe it's easier to cope and recover if you have some sense of who you are and what "normal" is like.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

I´m having bad money problems; I have some good projects to solve this situation.But my fear, (sometimes horrendous overwhelming) is not be able to work on this matter properly.One of the symptoms that I´m dealing with is isolation; I go out, but I return to the "safety" of my apartment, and right now I don´t even imagine spending the night in another place.W/D has made my life very "small".

Even or despite the intense waves of fear and anxiety I can feel an overall improvement it comes and goes, even in the same day.

Thank you ALL for your support, you are my heroes.
    150mgs Effexor for 4 years 2008-2012 for situational Major Depression. No AD before
    Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months / last dose July 26th/2012 aprox.
    Acute W/D first 1-2 months
    Protracted W/D since then and slowly recovering.
    Main symptoms: Anxiety, Insomnia,Anhedonia.
    April 9th- 20th SEVERE DEPRESSION.
    11 months off.Slowly improving

The chemically-induced WD agoraphobia and all kinds of anxieties limit one's life immensely. Taking it back very gradually, one step at a time, without blaming oneself for the not always fast enough progresion is the way to go.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I´m having bad money problems; I have some good projects to solve this situation.But my fear, (sometimes horrendous overwhelming) is not be able to work on this matter properly.One of the symptoms that I´m dealing with is isolation; I go out, but I return to the "safety" of my apartment, and right now I don´t even imagine spending the night in another place.W/D has made my life very "small".

Even or despite the intense waves of fear and anxiety I can feel an overall improvement it comes and goes, even in the same day.

Thank you ALL for your support, you are my heroes.
    I quit Paxil(Cold turkey) 5 years ago and I began to experiment severe agoraphobia at 2 years off.I know what you mean with your life which is "very small".I felt extremely guilty when I had agoraphobia and panic attacks. But month after month, the agoraphobia has gone away.I can't say that I have now a "normal life" but everything is better and I stopped considering me like a "zombie" or a "crap".
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )

I agree with the others.

You will get through this and dont obsess over how long it will take because everyone is different. What you can obsess about is how wonderful life will be drug free. Your body will love you for not putting toxins in it and will show you!
    2004: Effexor-150mg
    2006: switch to paxil-up to 40mg
    2008: after paxil taper failed, went back on effexor-250mg
    2009: quit effexor cold turkey. Switched to zoloft-100mg
    2010: zoloft taper failed, switched to celexa-30mg
    October 2011: tapered celexa in one week

it is normal to have these thoughts, let time pass, you seem to improve well, it is a good sign
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish