Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey of Hell and Healing - Joy

Joy – You found that when you decreased the Trazadone, your speech improved. And now you’re saying that when you went up on your blood pressure med, you definitely noticed you got more tired and your sleep was affected.

I’m wondering whether raising the BP meds also may have affected your cognition and your ability to focus and complete tasks. There was a big article in the NYT a year ago about how many standard meds can impair cognition. You might Google your BP med and cognitive and see what you find.

Also, JSYK, BP meds are notorious for causing depression. Also, people tapering off antidepressants often find their BP med prescription is now too high and they need less of the med. You will be changing for some time post-Effexor.

I’m sorry it’s such a rough time for you and your partner. I have had to ask a friend to double check my bill paying. You might want to try that with your partner. You prepare your paperwork, but then have him go over it quickly.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Cognitive problems are a big part of WD - short-term memory, misappropriating words, spoonerisms being just a few. Even interpreting the same word/number differently with each time you look at it. Amazing.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thank you Sheila and Luc for your responses. I appreciated your comments. All the different manifestations and symptoms can be frightening.
    It seems endless complaints I have. The Blood Pressure is adding another component I would rather not. It is a calcium channel blocker. My research tells me the whole idea isn't good...my understanding of it is that the calcium is blocked from entering the cells and this effects the heart muscles and so the heart doesn't beat as hard. In addition there is widening of the blood vessles as another aspect of the medication. It apparently causes build up of fluid in the legs and causes tiredness etc. I started at 5mg. and did ok, some swelling and urinating frequently. The meds were put up after 2 weeks to 10mg and then I noticed that I was very tired, speech/cognitive problems, gaining weight I had lost (just a pound or so but it counts as I have been so happy to see it come down post effexor). I only remained on it over a week and I have taken it back down to 5mg. By the second day, yesterday being the first, I started feeling noteably better! My speech is mostly cleared only takes more effort to think and find the right words that use to come naturally. My sleeping is not great but my energy is increasing. Now it is still low..I go out to the horses and feed them and by the time I come back in I'm pooped. So I just rest more but can do somethings. Stamina isn't great.

Also, this past week I have had some brain zaps again...and I now think that it may be from the Trazadone. I only took it for a very short time and a small, small dose when i couldn't sleep...but I think stopping it caused that. They didn't last too long and are done now. But interesting to see in retrospect.

During this w/d period, I have been watching what I eat and eating very healthy. One thing I did was cut way down on any bread/pastas, sugar and processed foods. etc. It is barely in my diet at all. Last night I had some white pasta and found I had the voice hoarsness and coughing up from my throat in the morning (I know, lovely!)haha,
    i also feel bloated after eating it. When I was on antidepressants I knew I had cravings for sugar and carbohydratres. I would at times eat sugar out of the bag as I needed it so badly and couldn't get full...always hungry. NOW, I don't have that problem. I rarely eat any sugar..natural sugar in fruits are fine and the occassional treat. I thought my weight would go down fast but it isn't. Very slowly. I believe the aching I was having and the high inflammation rate in my body was directly or indirectly caused by my antidepressants and the cravings that when with them. My aching is still there but I no longer take Naproxen 2x a day..only if needed. So my body has to heal right??? So now I think I am getting infections...might be a yeast infection..not sure, but like a diaper rash in the pelvic area by the leg joint. My instinct is that there is some sort of infection going on...what exactly I don't know. I had also had pain and thought it was appenicitis. And that passed. I will get it checked by the doctor...but hate to!
    Oh well..at least I have some tolerance back and a little energy. That alone will make things better. I am more peaceful yesterday and today. Just quietly enjoying the day.

Thank you for the encouragement. It is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

JOY

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I thought my weight would go down fast but it isn't. Very slowly.
    I'm on a low carb diet, too, Joy. It saved me in many ways. And, while still on SSRIs, thanks to this diet, I was able to lose close to 60 pounds, without ever being hungry. All that excessive weight had been caused by ADs. Though, b/c of the WD, I crossed onto the "skinny side" then. Fortunately, in recent months, I've managed to put on some weight towards the normal range.

The thing about this diet is that your weight goes down really slowly, but that's the point of it actually - you don't dehydrate yourself, or burn muscles - so typical in many other diets, especially when people go hungry most of the time (when you are hungry, your body burns up muscle tissue and starts storing up fats, because the entire system "knows that the bad times may have started" and takes counter-measures for the future. Then, when you try eating more, your body over-compensates and you go into a yo-yo mode. With this diet, I have never worried about it.

Well, that’s interesting that going down on the calcium channel blocker made you feel better.

You know, there may be a safer alternative for you for hypertension. Omega-3 is very good for that. Do some Googling and also check out the thread here in Alternatives.

Great that you have identified a food trigger. You may find that you are less sensitive to carbs once you have healed more from the Effexor. Don’t diet. You are healing and your body needs the nutrition. People often can’t lose weight for awhile post-ADs – especially women – but then they drop it later.

Also take a look at the Vitamin C thread in Alternatives to beef up your immune system. 3000 – 4000 might be enough to really make a difference for you.

Yes, that’s a great sign that you don’t need the naproxyn as much. You are definitely healing, and you will continue to heal more!

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Luc I guess I am doing my own version of a no carb diet. Did you stop even carbs from potatoes, yams and such? I still eat them. I am mostly doing..natural is healthy. Trying to eat blueberries, plain yougart, seeds and some nuts, fruits, vegies, milk, and I am taking supplements.

Sheila, yes, I did look at the alternative site for Omega 3. I am taking min of 3000mg a day and often get an extra one or two in. I do feel it helps me. That and I take Olive Oil too. I just bought Vit C and am taking about 3,000mg of that too. I am taking Calcium, Vit D, Kelp, occassionally Potassium, magnesium, and I think that is it... I would LOVE to get off of BP meds and WILL as soon as I can bring it down to a safe level. All these changes I am making and getting the AD's out of my system and letting my brain and body heal HAS TO help!!

I went into the withdraw of my antidepressant as more than just quitting them. It is also a time for me to make some life changes. This past year I have learned a lot! But that is another story. Interesting what you mentioned about weight loss being slowed down during W/D..poop! Just cutting out the carbs and eating good had me loosing a bit without having to try. But that has stopped much short of the desired goal. I hear you and I wont purposely try to diet Sheila. Good advice.

What I am finding rather odd is that in the past when I have gone off meds I have not just felt awful but became very depressed. I haven't had that in the least. Some bad feelings around feeling bad and a little hopelessness at times...but not how I think of being depressed. This is a very good thing and I sure hope it lasts.
    Today I even had some tolerance. I got outside just to walk around in the cold Manitoba Spring...walking through deep snow in some places but feel better just being outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Luc I guess I am doing my own version of a no carb diet. Did you stop even carbs from potatoes, yams and such? I still eat them. I am mostly doing..natural is healthy. Trying to eat blueberries, plain yougart, seeds and some nuts, fruits, vegies, milk, and I am taking supplements.
    Oh no, Joy - I haven't cut out all of it - just being careful about the amount of it. :) I eat perfectly "normal" dinner every day (potatoes, fries, etc.) Eating bleuberries, dairy, seeds, veggies, too. And taking supplements as well.

When did you start the 3000 mg Omega? What benefits have you noticed, if any? You might find that going higher obviates your need for BP meds. I wonder if the Omega is protecting you from your usual AD w/d depression. I think it might have done that for me for several years.

That’s great that you’re taking 3000 mg of Vit. C. If you’re still having infections, it means you need more. I am taking about 9000 and I want to go up, but it’s activating for me, so I have to proceed slowly. I had developed adrenal pain from w/d and the C knocked that out – the adrenals use more C than any other part of the body.

Do you take 400 IU Vit E? That’s a good idea with the fish oil.

Only change one supplement at a time.

That’s so great that you quit ADs as just one part of a refreshment of your whole life.

I looked at some Internet pics of Manitoba. Beautiful. Boy, you’re really far north!

-- Holger Kalweit

Hi Sheila,

I started taking Omega 3's I think sometime around the time I started my taper of Effexor. Within a week or two..I can't remember as my brain back then wasn't too clear. I took 3,000mg. a day and it went well. As I did some reading and see that the effective dosage is around 1gr I have wanted to increase. At the health food stores here I am not able to find a 1 gr capsul so am just increasing the 1,000mg caps that I have. Today I had 6 of them.
    I really think you might be right that they have helped me with some of the w/d symptoms. Not that it has been a walk in the park as it sure hasn't. But when I read some of the reactions others have been having who have been on AD meds much less time than I have I think I have had it easy by comparison.
    I had been on varios AD's for roughly 18-20 years. Never more than a few weeks off the times I have tried to quit. Also I have tried Lithium and then Serequel the Serequel I was on for maybe 5 years. I am guessing time frames as I just can't remember. I am sure I have tried almost ever drug there is with modest improvement at times which would quickly deteriorate. And the feeling of things racing inside of me that I had during this whole time..called by some doctors 'hypomania'... is just wrong. It was the medication! I know it was. I personally feel like it has worn me out and I believe my adrenal gland has been over stressed for years and years..hence my 'hitting the wall' now, when I am stressed. I had one adrenal gland out so there is only one to do the work of two so there is another load on it. Back to my though before I rambled, ha,ha... I really do think the Omega 3's have helped me, sort of a cushion.

As important to my feeling good has also been the quitting the high, simple carbs and the sugar. Although it is hard to say what causes what..having less inflammation inspite of also quitting a prescription medication for this problem speaks volumes that something is going well..just going off AD or the removal of the carbs.. or both. Also the Omega 3 and other supplements and eating right.

Sheila, It is very easy for me to use this time to make a life change as it is all just in front of my face. And there does require a preparedness and commitment to stick it through. Not to mention that it is a life changing experience!

What do yo mean the Vit C is activating for you Sheila?

I have thought about the Vit E before but then put it off...maybe I will get some as well. Only change one supplement at a time? Easier to tell if it is working? I don't seem to have any negative effects from vitamens or supplements so far.

LAUGHING AT YOUR ANIMATION!!, haha. I guess Manitoba must seem far North because your in California. I am a little envious right now. It is freezing here still. Snow is melting and clear in some spots and others there might be a foot or more of snow. We moved here only last November so I haven't experienced any warm weather yet. I have got to experience into the -40's though. Doesn't that make you want to come visit? Ha,ha.