Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Games/programming/past

Games/programming/past

Some interesting info. I admit though, some of it I don't understand. Never been an exact science/computer mind!

http://www.untoldentertainment.com/b...o-video-games/

By the way, does anyone here remember ZX Spectrum?
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Oh this is really nostalgic! Yes I remember the ZX Spectrum, my cousins had one and while staying at them we always played the Jetpack game. Some time later, in 1985 ehen I was 16 or so, I got my Commodore 64 and enjoyed so many hours playing the old games which were, in many senses, way finnuer than the very complex modern games. Now I have an android smartphone some of the old games (Arkanoid, Tetris) come to leve agian. And I stil enjoy them :)

And just like the article says, I also made the cut in the 5 1/4 floppies to make them double sided :)
    Recovering from the ravages of withdrawal after 5 years on Paxil/Seroxat, originally prescribed for stress and, looking backward, PTSS.
    Though it is hardly possible to get something positive from the utter hell of repeated c/t's and protracted w/d, all of this unnecessary, I still believe in the possiblity to emerge from this as a healed, wiser human being.
    All we need is just a little patience - Guns N' Roses

Oh yes, and there was also Atari, Amiga, Amstrad... The most frustrating thing was, when uploading the game (using casettes! which would sometimes take even 10 - 20 min or longer), there was this glitch and you had to start uploading from scratch. Or even worse, when the glitch happened *during* the game. And those basic games were the greatest. I remember Commando, slalom skiing, and also this game I've always wanted to play again - Dan Dare. One day I'll.

And there also was the ping-pong classic;

It is so cute to see you two reminiscing.....
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

This was mine, still think is looks beautiful and in those days, computers still had something magic. And I had som many fun hours playing the old games, with a real joystick which the PC never had :)

Recovering from the ravages of withdrawal after 5 years on Paxil/Seroxat, originally prescribed for stress and, looking backward, PTSS.
    Though it is hardly possible to get something positive from the utter hell of repeated c/t's and protracted w/d, all of this unnecessary, I still believe in the possiblity to emerge from this as a healed, wiser human being.

This in post 6 isn't, unfortunately, mine. It's just Google search. :( Though, if I had one these days, I'd never give it away. It must have gotten really valuable by now. Hold onto the Commodore for a decade more and it will be worth a Ferrari, Claudius. :)

By the way, I seriously don't understand why they gave up on the idea of joysticks? All those modern consoles, comparing to the joystick, are just impractical, totally nonergonomic.

Not to mention the fact that it took like seconds to switch on the old computers. Now it takes like millenia...
    Last edited by Luc; 03-21-2013 at 08:32 PM.

That Commodore 64 on the picture is mine neither, alslo got it from Google :) But the real one is AFAIK still somewhere in my mothers house. Haven't seen it since 15-20 years or so!
    And I share your opinion about the joysticks! The old Arcade with the microswitches was unbeatable! I still used in on my first DOS PC's with an adapter to play some racing games and the old DOS classic games Wolfenstein 3D and Doom!
    I am afraid thay are not worth a lot of money now, therefore the homecomputers were too popular and many of them still must be around somewhere. But I surely would not throw my old Commodore away... just out of nostalgia :)

Out of curiosity I just checked one of Wolfenstein walkthroughs on Youtube and I'm shocked to see how graphics has changed. Yet, the then perception when I played it was cosmically more impressive to anything there's now.