Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Nancy's Journal

I want alternatives I just feel so much better after trazqdone and have trouble getting to store and fear they won't work anyway. MaybE can get self to store tomorrow. But Internet says takes a few weeks for valerian to kick in. Takes few weeks for melatonin. Have to send away for kava kava. Anyway we shall see what I do. What do u think of marijuana

Why would it take a few weeks for Valerian to kick in? I take mine whenever I feel the need - usually to help me sleep. It calms the nervous system. It usually 'kicks in' in an hour. I don't understand this.

I tried a low dose of melatonin very early in the process, after having switched from Paxil to Lexapro then to Cymbalta, and back to Paxil. Again it worked straightway. If I took it at night, I slept better. I don't understand why it wouldn't work straight away.

Some have tried marijuana. Some say it helps. But on a personal level I would avoid it. It is known to bring on psychosis and even schizophrenia in those who are susceptible.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Marijuana brings a lot of benefit in many conditions, though, while in withdrawal or when still taking psychoactive medical drugs, you never know how your body is going to react to it. So, I'd be very careful. Maybe, with time, we will know more if (in some cases?) it could indeed bring some helpwithout too much risk.

As for the herbs, please trust your intuition, Nancy. If you decided to try them, do it slowly. Hang in there!
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Oh i read that it takes a few weeks for valerian to kick in. could be wrong. againi heard and read it takes a few weeks for melatonin to kick in. could be wrong.

problem is with how bad i feel i cant even do research on the herbs to see what various sources say. i greatly appreciate your input. it is so hard to know the real truth. stuff i read says different information.

nancys -- It does not take a few weeks for valerian or melatonin to kick in. Valerian takes effect immediately. Melatonin -- immediately to a couple of hours depending on the person.

If you try marijuana, you want to pick a type that is very calming and does not cause paranoia. You would want to talk to someone in a medical marijuana center.

Why don't you give yourself a break from stressing over the alternative sleep remedies? Just take a couple of weeks or even a month to enjoy the fact that the Trazadone is working so well. Stabilize on the Celexa and Trazadone. And then, if you still want to, you can do some investigating and experimenting with alternatives.

I think you are pushing yourself too hard to do too much too fast. This is going to be a process. And slowing things down can paradoxically make things fall into place faster. Focus now on relaxing as much as possible...

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

I agree with Sheila. Why not just allow yourself to stabilise on the Celexa and Trazadone. I know you don't want to be on too many drugs but really, at this point, quality of life is what is important. There is plenty of time for tapering / trying alternatives later.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about - when Paxil stopped working for me (and I was still very naive about these drugs), I switched to Lexapro. Four and a half months and loads of horrible side effects later, I switched to Cymbalta. I didn't like that one and stopped after only 19 days. I really didn't think 19 days was long enough for me to need to wean. Wrong. I endured two hellish weeks of w/d. After that I was going to give my body a break from all these drugs but I couldn't sleep. It would take 2 hours to fall asleep and I'd wake every hour. I might manage 4-5 hours overall. I was probably in a similar place to you right now. I decided to try Paxil again - since it had worked for me before. I went back on 20mg and waited 3 weeks. It helped a little but not enough, so I doubled the dose. I'd been on 40mg previously so it made sense to go back to that. I didn't know about the kindling effect and it sent my nervous system into overdrive, followed by feelings of major depression (which I suffer from naturally). I had just landed a job! Great! Anyhow, I managed to ride it out and the reinstatement worked. The depression lifted and I was able to manage. However, I didn't have feelings (anhedonia) and had to fake it, especially in my new job. It took 3 months for me to fully stabilise. That was in the latter part of 2009. Then I began my taper....
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

I just had gone thru so much to get off that I want to be very cautious about going on. Since September I went off ( some were added and then taken away) 8 psych drugs and progesterone and magnesium and cortisol manager and other supplements This took immense effort so want to not get system all screwed up again with drugs but also need to feel better. That is why so perfectionistic about it. It helps tohear others struggles. It is jus so hard to know what causes what.
    By the way. Starting to feel much better as 20 mg celexa kicked in. There is life in me. I opened the herb book. I said the prayers out loud at 12 step groups. I feel more energy. Thank God.
    There is hope for relief from the brutal living he'll of many many months. It had just been even more hellish more recently.
    Thank god u guys told me to go back on drugs. I needed them very very bad. Thank u all so much for your help. I only hope the celexa does not cause me anything negative. For now I am feeling better!!!!! The torture was immense. Still long way to go. But there is some relief. Need stabalization.
    Thanks for supplement info. So confusing. Can't wait to feel even better

Wow, that is so great to hear you're starting to feel better, Nancy! It looks like the worst is behind you. Stay patient now. It should continue to improve. Your body will be able to heal from everything. Just one step at a time.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Aw, that's so great that you're feeling somewhat better, nancys! What a fantastic job you've done managing this torturous, complex situation!

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit