Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Life expectancy declining for US women

Life expectancy declining for US women

Could it be that US women take more pills than anybody else?

AP
    by Mark Stobbe
    5 Mar 13

A new study offers more compelling evidence that life expectancy for some U.S. women is actually falling, a disturbing trend that experts can't explain.

The latest research found that women age 75 and younger are dying at higher rates than previous years in nearly half of the nation's counties - many of them rural and in the South and West. Curiously, for men, life expectancy has held steady or improved in nearly all counties.

The study is the latest to spot this pattern, especially among disadvantaged white women. Some leading theories blame higher smoking rates, obesity and less education, but several experts said they simply don't know why.

Women have long outlived men, and the latest numbers show the average life span for a baby girl born today is 81, and for a baby boy, it's 76. But the gap has been narrowing and data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has shown women's longevity is not growing at the same pace as men's.

The phenomenon of some women losing ground appears to have begun in the late 1980s, though studies have begun to spotlight it only in the last few years.

Trying to figure out why is "the hot topic right now, trying to understand what's going on," said Jennifer Karas Montez, a Harvard School of Public Health sociologist who has been focused on the life expectancy decline but had no role in the new study.

Researchers also don't know exactly how many women are affected. Montez says a good estimate is roughly 12 percent.

The study, released Monday by the journal Health Affairs, found declining life expectancy for women in about 43 percent of the nation's counties.
    ….

"I think the most likely explanation for why mortality is getting worse is those factors are just stronger in those counties," Murray said, adding that abuse of Oxycontin and other drugs also may add to the problem.

http://www.kansas.com/2013/03/04/270...life-span.html
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

I already wondered many times what will happen to the people who are on Paxil or Effexor, unable to get off (most of them still unaware of the correct tapering regime) when they will get older, being on the drug for decades, perhaps even needing other "real" medications for "real" diseases coming with their age which do not go together with the SSRI's...

In this perspective I feel lucky to be off, despite the years of inimaginable suffering.
    Recovering from the ravages of withdrawal after 5 years on Paxil/Seroxat, originally prescribed for stress and, looking backward, PTSS.
    Though it is hardly possible to get something positive from the utter hell of repeated c/t's and protracted w/d, all of this unnecessary, I still believe in the possiblity to emerge from this as a healed, wiser human being.
    All we need is just a little patience - Guns N' Roses

It's very worrisome, Claudius. We *are* the lucky ones because we woke up, saw the truth, and stopped taking the poison.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Agreed you guys. I have often said that the sh*t is going to hit the proverbial fan when everyone finally wakes up to what the medicos have done.

It's funny. When antibiotics were first invented, life expectancy basically doubled (I don't know the actual rate) - now, because we live in an "I want a quick fix" world, life expectancy is declining. There is a message there methinks.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    I already wondered many times what will happen to the people who are on Paxil or Effexor, unable to get off (most of them still unaware of the correct tapering regime) when they will get older, being on the drug for decades, perhaps even needing other "real" medications for "real" diseases coming with their age which do not go together with the SSRI's...
    I believe you have answered your own question - YES, YES, YES< they will give them MORE MEDICATIONS for the "symptoms" they have. It was paxil giving me the aching legs (I believe this is w/d because they get worse when I drop) so they prescribed Sifrol for the restless legs but I saw a red flag when I read on the label "do not stopp taking this medication suddenly"! Also Iwas given Mobic for indigestion which turns out was w/d also and it gave me chest pains!

Can I tell you about my friend? Her mother was eldery (in her 80's) in a nursing home getting worse and worse, dementia and deteriorating. It got so that she didn't talk to them or respond any moe. She felt like she was just prolonging her mum's life for now reason and told doctors to take her off all medication (and let her die, in other words).

To her amazement, the next time they visited her mum, she was heaps better!

I have another friend with a very similar story, and I posted her letter to me somewhere here!

Sad, sad, sad.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

I’m researching dementia for my next blog post, and it’s amazing to see the discussion forums where people are saying ‘don’t put your loved one with dementia on the psych meds that the doctors push on you – it will make them worse. Better to learn to manage the symptoms in other ways.’

Isn’t that something?!

-- Holger Kalweit

Interesting ...
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    I’m researching dementia for my next blog post, and it’s amazing to see the discussion forums where people are saying ‘don’t put your loved one with dementia on the psych meds that the doctors push on you – it will make them worse. Better to learn to manage the symptoms in other ways.’

Isn’t that something?!
    And you can notice it in the comments sections almost everywhere. Funny thing is that, after having spent on the Internet so much time in recent years, when I looked at some "real" newspapers I was involuntarily looking for the comments below...
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

That's funny, Luc!

-- Holger Kalweit