Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clinical Neurotoxicology: Syndromes, Substances, Environments

Clinical Neurotoxicology: Syndromes, Substances, Environments

I came across this in my paper files and I need to share this with all of you since, it appears, according to my copy that this book acknowledges that AD WD Syndrome creates neurotoxicity.

It also mentions that prescription psychotropics (AD, antipsychotics, lithium etc.) also cause neurotoxicity within some patients.

forgive me but I'm having great difficulty typing this all out and thus, my wording and sentence structure is not the best. Being as I do not have a computer copy of this I will have to type some sections from my hard copy.

I did somehow managed (in the past) to copy and paste some of the chapter titles and contents but I am unable to repeat this exercise and thus, I will have to manually type out some of the contents.

BTW, this book is available to view at googlebooks and also access can be obtained from www.expertconsult.com, a companion website where you can quickly search the complete contents of the book.

I am hoping that someone will be able to view the book and copy some relevant sections to this thread. I wish I had the stamina to do so but I am unable. I will however, type out the sections that I feel will be of interest as to provide some direction for further search.

Also, I have not been able to read the chapters (only chapter descriptions) since, my sensitivities to the computer prevent me from reading on-line. However, you will see from the following that this book may provide important information that we can bring to our doctors to validate our condition. At least this is my hope. So, if someone has the time and capabilities, it would be wonderful if segments can be copied from google books and/or googleconsult and pasted within this thread.

Please read next post for further details.

Samsara
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

Clinical Neurotoxicology: Syndromes, Substances, Environments

by Michael R. Dobbs, MD.

CHAPTER 13: Neurotoxic Effects of Pharmaceutical Agents....ANTIDEPRESSANTS

In the period between 1999 and 2002, 8% of the adult population in the United States reported using an antidepressant. ..................The classes of AD available include MAOI's, Tricyclics, SSRI's and newer compounds designed to increase serotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine, or a combination of these (Table 1).

Some neurotoxicities such as antidepressant discontinuation syndrome, serotonin syndrome, and poisoning are common to all antidepressants...........

An adverse effect surveillance system in psychiatric hospitals in Germany, Austria and Switzerland studies severe adverse effects of antidepressants in 122,562 patients. Neurological adverse effects occurred in approx. 0.11% of patients receiving TCAs alone, in about 0.06% of patients....................

CHAPTER 31 - Neurotoxic Effect of Pharmaceutical Agents II: Psychiatric Agents

INTRODUCTION: Psychiatric disorders, including depression, psychosis, and bipolar disorder, are common and gaining more acceptance in the United STates . The most commonly used classes of medications for these disorders are antidepressants, antipsychotics, and lithium. Unfortunately, these medications are associated with significant neurotoxicities.

There may be other chapters of interest. As mentioned, I'm not well enough to view and can't figure out how to copy sections of from this book.
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

Dear IAWP founders........please edit this post as you see fit. Forgive my inability to do so. I'm feeling very overwhelmed ATM and oversensitized to the computer and must exit ASAP.

Peace and Healing to Everyone!

Samsara

This was copied from Amazon.com

Clinical Neurotoxicology: Syndromes, Substances, Environments,
    Expert Consult - Online and Print, 1e (Book & Website) [Hardcover]

Michael R. Dobbs (Author)
    5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)

You Save: $21.05 (10%)

Book Description

Publication Date: July 2, 2009 | ISBN-10: 0323052606 | ISBN-13: 978-0323052603 | Edition: Har/Psc

Clinical Neurotoxicology offers accurate, relevant, and comprehensive coverage of a field that has grown tremendously in the last 20 years. You'll get a current symptomatic approach to treating disorders caused by neurotoxic agents, environmental factors-such as heavy metals and pesticides-and more. Apply discussions of cellular and molecular processes and pathology to clinical neurology. Leading authorities and up-and-coming clinical neurotoxicologists present their expertise on wide-ranging, global subjects and debate controversies in the specialty, including Gulf War Syndrome. And, Expert Consult functionality allows you to access the full text of the book online, from any Internet connection.

• Provides a complete listing of neurotoxic agents-from manufactured to environmental-so you get comprehensive, clinical coverage.

• Covers how toxins manifest themselves according to age and co-morbidity so that you can address the needs of all your patients.

• Offers broad and in-depth coverage of toxins from all over the world through contributions by leading authorities and up-and-coming clinical neurotoxicologists.

• Features discussion of controversial and unusual topics such as Gulf War Syndrome, Parkinson's Disease, motor neuron disease, as well as other issues that are still in question.

• Includes access to www.expertconsult.com, a companion website where you can quickly search the complete contents of the book.

Your purchase entitles you to access the web site until the next edition is published, or until the current edition is no longer offered for sale by Elsevier, whichever occurs first. If the next edition is published less than one year after your purchase, you will be entitled to online access for one year from your date of purchase. Elsevier reserves the right to offer a suitable replacement product (such as a downloadable or CD-ROM-based electronic version) should online access to the web site be discontinued.

More About the Author
    › Visit Amazon's Michael R. Dobbs Page

Biography
    Michael R. Dobbs (1972-) is a native Kentuckian and a neurology professor at Chandler Medical Center (University of Kentucky). He mostly writes about neurology, and his book, Clinical Neurotoxicology, is becoming the standard reference text for the field. He became interested in neurotoxicology while practicing and teaching neurology in the United States Air Force.
    _______
    Book Review
    There aren't enough resources in this domain. Neuropsychological Toxicology is long overdue for an update, having been released in 1995. Several times I've seen promises of a new edition, but none have actually appeared. It's still useful to the practitioner, but getting dated. The three-volume series Neurobehavioral Toxicology seemed more geared to the researcher than the practitioner; the clinically oriented volume appeared to be a rather superficial rehashing of research results without much clinical guidance. There are several other, vastly more expensive books on neurotoxicology that also appear to be research rather than practice oriented.

I finally tried this book and I'm satisfied with it. The organization is like Principles of Neurology. The first section covers background and general issues (e.g., developmental neurotoxicology). The second section centers around syndromes, such as toxin-induced movement disorders. The third section focuses on diagnostic approaches, followed by a lengthy section devoted to different classes of neurotoxins: heavy metals, drugs of use and abuse, solvents, even seafood with neurotoxins are included.

This book appears well-suited for professionals in the neurrosciences who work with cases of toxic exposure, as well as being a suitable textbook for a course in the same matter. For the most part each chapter serves as a jumping-off point rather than a complete summary of knowledge, but each section is heavily referenced so that the reader can easily find relevant material.

I forgot to post this. If it is of no help then please delete.

//MOLECULAR NEUROTOXICOLOGY - Clinical ... - ExpertConsult

www.expertconsultbook.com/.../ob/linkTo?type...

CHAPTER 1 - Introduction to Clinical Neurotoxicology ... 2 Clinical Neurotoxicology: Syndromes, Substances, Environments ... The superficial nature of this work led to questions and concerns from the more established fields of neuroscience.

Thank you for sharing it with us, Dear Sam. Please, hang in there, my friend. Just hang in there. We are will you all the time...
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thank you so much Luc!!

I will keep this very brief. I forgot to highlight that this book mentions that AD discontinuation syndrome ALONE creates neurotoxicity. I wish I could read the whole chapter. I wonder if there is any mention of PROTRACTED WD syndrome.

Sam

Great to see you, Samsara! And thank you so much for taking the trouble to post this. It will be very validating to people (and useful for them to show to others) this writing about the neurotoxicity of ADs. That last bit was particularly intriguing!
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Hi Samsara Nice to 'see' you
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Very good stuff Sam. I like how you provide references with your information.

P.S. How are you feeling?

Hey Sheila, Junior!

Very much miss interacting with all of you!

M&M thank you for asking re: "how am I doing"? Unfortunately, these are the darkest days of my life. I think it's best not to elaborate any further since, I won't be able to compose myself and I don't wish to bring other people down into depths of my despair.

Many Blessings and Love to Each of You! Thank you for touching my life in very unique and special ways! I really mean that and that goes to you too M&M. Your posts to me really touched my heart and I can tell that you, like others on this forum, have a warm and compassionate spirit!

Oh, I better sign off since, the computer is ;making me feel sickish. Take care everyone.

Samsara