Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Astrid

Introducing Astrid

Hello everybody,

My name is Astrid, I'm 40 and I'm from The Netherlands.
    I have been on Seroxat (paroxetine) 20 mg a day, for 13 years.
    I started tapering in March 2012 and took my last dose at the end of August 2012, so I tapered for almost 6 months.
    I now realize it would have been much better to take more time, to take a whole year, but I wanted to get rid of the medication,
    and I thought 6 months would be enough time.
    My doctor suggested I took even less time, but I had been reading experiences on the internet, and I knew 3 months wouldn't be enough.

The tapering went fine in the beginning, my head was clear and I had so much more energy!
    After 2 months I had changed a lot, my thinking was much clearer, I started to think about the friendship with my "best girl-friend" and I realized
    this friendship was not so good at all. The friendship was ended after 15 years, and I'm still very sad about it now, almost a year later.
    So at that moment, I was tapering and felt very alone too. I don't have a partner and I don't have a very warm family either, sadly to say, so it was quite a difficult period for me.
    I didn't have a job, and no obligation to apply for one (alimoney), so I had the time and space to recover. But it also meant I became very isolated from everything.
    The last month of the tapering was hell, I had a lot of headpressure, my muscles were trembling, and I was exhausted. The only thing I did was watching movies on tv.
    But I did it!!! I'm still very proud that I made it.

The first 2 months after the last dose, September and October, I was doing fine and felt good. But then November came, and I started having withdrawal symptoms....
    I was really surprised, because I never expected this to happen. Maybe silly, but I thought it would only be during tapering that this could happen, and not after 2 months being clean. The headpressure was back with a vengeance, and I had this loud ringing in my ears, like a whistle, and a constant humming, it drove me crazy....
    I was crying all the time. Didn't want to go outside anymore, could hardly stand up because my legs were very weak.
    It was then, that I started looking for more information about withdrawal, because I had no idea what was happening.
    Luckily, I found a dutch website with more information, and this forum. Finally I got the answers to all my questions, and learned about the waves and the windows, and recognized all the symptoms I had....and realized this would take more time than I had ever expected.

Now in February 2013 I can feel that the wave, when it comes back, is milder than in the beginning.
    The whistling in my ears is still there, but less loud than in November. The same with the headpressure, still there but less.

The only thing that hasn't changed, is that I feel very alone in this situation. I have two friends, but they are also very sensitive people and I don't want to bother them with my stories about how bad I feel. I have been talking about my WD for a lot, and now I have the feeling that when I talk about it, it's annoying them. I have the feeling that the whole subject has become a no go area, if you understand what I mean...
    Anyway, this is something that you can only understand when you've experienced it yourself.
    And that's why I'm here, telling you my story, because I need a place to go when I feel bad and need some comfort, and to feel less alone in this situation.
    I'm still crying a lot, feeling sad and I'm afraid I'll never be able to start something new like a volunteering job, because I'm mentally so unstable.

Astrid
    Last edited by Astrid; 02-14-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: I mentioned the wrong date

Hello, Astrid! Welcome to IAWP. Yes, the symptoms you are describing are from WD. Though it still looks like they have improved for you in recent time. Doctors know next to nothing about this syndrome, so props for you to taking more time to taper (despite your doctor's advice). Yes, it would have been even better if the taper had been longer, but, considering the data you had then, you did a great thing.

This isolation you are describing is very much the result of WD and the still present symptoms. It's really great you are considering starting some volunteering job in the future. Do *not* feel discouraged by the way you are feeling now. It'll be improving. Most likely through waves and windows. You will get there. Everyone here has been through the same and we understand it perfectly. Do not push things, use the small steps approach. Also, do not blame yourself for they way you feel. You may also have a look at this thread. It will help you a lot; http://antidepressantwithdrawal.info...-Neuro-emotion

Step by step, Astrid. We will be helping you on your way to recovery.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thank you Luc, for your quick respond, I'm crying again, but this time because I'm so happy to read your friendly words .
    I have been doubting a lot before I registered here, but now I'm happy I did.
    Thank you for the thread about neuro-emotion, it's new information to me and I think it will help me too.

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    Welcome to IAWP ,Astrid! You have found the right place here and you will find a great help and friendship.
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )

Dear Astrid,
    Your story is very familiar to many of us here. We are glad you found this forum. Welcome!
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Thank you, Cosette and Chris, for your replies and warm welcome, it makes me feel better today.
    It's so important to me to be in touch with people who understand, and say something friendly.
    I wonder why there aren't more forums like this, because I expect there are so many more people who are struggling with this, all over the world.
    On dutch websites I only read about people who are trying to get off these drugs, but most of them don't succeed, and give up after trying.
    I think it's also the lack of information that makes people give up trying, because they can't read about people who endured the same and are fighting for recovery.
    To be in touch with others who are fighting too, gives me the support to hang on. Glad to be here in good company :-)
    Paroxetine 20mg a day, for 13 years
    Tapered for 6 months
    Off meds since August 27, 2012

Hoi Astrid! We hebben elkaar al gesproken via de mail. En ook in Nederland zijn er steeds meer mensen die niet langer bereid zijn om de drugs te blijven slikken en vechten om er vanaf te komen. Helaas hebben de meesten inderdaad nog geen toegang tot de juiste info omdat de criminele farmamafia dat tegenhoudt.
    Je bent er nu vanaf dus nu ben je op het pad naar herstel. Kan een lange en zware weg worden maar hier krijg je de beste steun die je je kan wensen.
    Recovering from the ravages of withdrawal after 5 years on Paxil/Seroxat, originally prescribed for stress and, looking backward, PTSS.
    Though it is hardly possible to get something positive from the utter hell of repeated c/t's and protracted w/d, all of this unnecessary, I still believe in the possiblity to emerge from this as a healed, wiser human being.
    All we need is just a little patience - Guns N' Roses

Hi Claudius, nice to meet you again :-), we spoke earlier to eachother by mail. Thanks again for all your information, it was because of you that I found out about this forum.
    At first I hesitated, because writing in english is never the same as it is in your native language, but I needed it so much to be in touch with others, that I registered.
    I hope you are doing well, after your long struggle. I have good hope that I will recover, and spring and summer will be tapering-free this year, so maybe I will enjoy them more than last year ;-) Even though I have no idea how long it will take before I have the feeling that I'm back on track again, having this place to share my troubles is a great comfort to me.
    Tapered for 6 months

Hi Astrid and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place. We all understand what it is like. Sorry things are tough for you now but they WILL get better.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Thanks Junior, wonderful to talk to someone on the other side of the planet..
    I see that you are still tapering, and that you do it slowly, that's very wise of you!
    If I could start over I would do the same thing, and take a whole year instead of 6 months.
    I hope for you that your slow tapering will result in as less withdrawal symptoms as possible.
    For me, I can cope with it, it goes up and down, if I have a bad day, the next day may be a good one.
    If one day I have been crying, the next day I feel serene, as if I emptied the bucket and there are no more tears left.
    I hope you will keep us posted on how you are doing. My experience is that reducing the last 2 mg of the 20 was the most difficult period for me.
    Tapered for 6 months