Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Book Club

Book Club

Hello readers, lets chat about books....starting with HARRY POTTER

I am PROUD to say that I am a big Harry Potter fan, I LOVE it

My favorite book is Book 6 - The Half Blood Prince

My favorite character is - Professor Snape

In this book there is a moment where Dumbledore is forced to drink a potion to retrieve a locket...no one knows what it is but he starts to scream and saying kill me kill me...he is not in physical pain, and is reliving the worst moments of his life and more.....do you think it was paxil?
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

Ha ha! Definitely Paxil....Actually, I know that JK Rowling has talked about her bout with terrible depression. I wonder if she ever took any meds.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Book Club-- what a great idea Iggy! You are on a roll.
    I have a confession to make: Until recently, I thought Robert Louis Stevenson and Virginia Woolf were American writers. Due to my Eng. Lit. background this is hilarious.
    My justification for being ethnocentric: great literature is universal.
    Now here's the really funny part: even knowing the truth, I still think VW is American.
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Yes Chris, I am on a roll!!

Top 5 books people!! Its a difficult one and I will have to give it some thought myself as I have read some blindingly good books over the years...lets hear your top 5!
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Now here's the really funny part: even knowing the truth, I still think VW is American.

That's funny, Chris! Good for you for confessing! I thought RLS was American, too!

OK, here's an old favorite -- Pride and Prejudice

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

A few short books:

The Great Gatsby
    The Turn of the Screw
    The Lover (Duras)
    Burmese Days
    (Orwell)

Longer:
    Out of Africa; Lord Jim

I would like to mention again Audio Books. Presumed Innocent, by Scott Turow is good.

I often listen to mild (so called cozy mysteries) audio books, like Dorothy Sayers especially good while doing crafts and to get to sleep. Whenever I can't sleep and begin to ruminate, I know it's time to "change the channel" and listen to a good book (actually a mediocre book is better for sleep!)

Also, books that are dense and tough sledding like Lord Jim I listen to as audiobooks in short chunks at a time.
    I went to graduate school which kind of killed my love of literature. Then, recently, I listened to Lord Jim on CD--there I found a line that blew me away and restored my faith in the "Classics." I reproduce it here:

"There was a veil of inexpressibly mean pathos over Brierly's remembered figure, the posthumous revenge of fate for that belief in his own splendour which had almost cheated his life of its legitimate terrors. . . Who knows what flattering view he took of his own suicide."

Allow me to offer a translation: We could live our whole life out of touch with our real self . . . acting out a role, unaware of the inner reality (imperfect, warts and all). Don't let the roles rob you of your own reality. Tell it like it is. Better to be faulted for who you are than liked for who you aren't.
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Great stuff!

I went to graduate school which kind of killed my love of literature.
    That’s funny! I’m glad the love is coming back. It looks like a true love of yours.

-- Holger Kalweit

Any fans of Edgar Allan Poe?
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Love Poe. his life story is also very interesting