Thread: Self-talk

Self-talk

Cynthia Sue Larson
    http://cynthiasuelarson.wordpress.co...ia-sue-larson/

Before delving into relationships we have with others, we can begin the art of deep listening by mastering the fine art of listening to ourselves – by learning a more disciplined way to hear our own self-talk. Some of the top experts in this field of expertise are athletes, who must learn to master mind-body clarity and discipline in order to succeed. Athletes refer to the optimal state of mind-body clarity as being “in the zone” – a rarefied state of consciousness in which performance is exceptional and consistent, automatic and flowing.

Mental conditioning trainers such as Trevor Moawad explain that the average person engages in self-talk at a rate of 300 to 1,000 words a minute, and this self-talk can range from being phenomenally empowering to extremely self-critical and self-destructive.

Athletes learn that the way they handle their self-talk makes a tremendous difference in their performance, particularly at times when things don’t go according to plan. Good mental conditioning allows athletes to recognize when their self-talk is negative, positive, or escapist, and to manage thought processes accordingly.

Rather than attempting to eradicate negative self-talk, athletes learn ways to rapidly switch mental gears any time negative thoughts arise, either to positive self-talk, or by asking themselves how a mentor or role model might handle a particular setback or challenge. Athletes show us that optimal human performance is achieved when we feel relaxed, alert, confident and strong… in a state of mind-body harmony that allows us to experience seemingly magical states of synchronized balance.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

OTOneH, this is harder to do in w/d. OTOtherH, I have gotten better at this than I have ever been in my life *because* of w/d....

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

I wish I could get better at working out your acronyms!

Interesting article Sheila. Mental disipline is very important in all aspects of life, I think, the bottom line being that WE can control our thoughts, they do not have to control US.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Just worked out what your acronyms meant *slaps self*
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

-- Holger Kalweit

as i live alone actually, when i walk in streets where i see nobody, i often make "Self-talk" about my little problems; and i always agree with myself

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    as i live alone actually, when i walk in streets where i see nobody, i often make "Self-talk" about my little problems; and i always agree with myself
    Haha!
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Mental conditioning trainers such as Trevor Moawad explain that the average person engages in self-talk at a rate of 300 to 1,000 words a minute
    It's like 5-17 words a second...
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Somewhat related-- I was recently listening to a program on NPR that had some ideas that might help dealing with w/d neuro-anxiety. They were talking about how athletes and other performers deal with anxiety -- how they learn to interpret it positively with self-talk -- like "since I'm so keyed up this shows I'm really ready and will do a great job today." Being able to apply positive labels might help because the alternative is limbic brain messages like "this adrenaline must mean a big lion is about to eat me."
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Yeah, it's a good point -- excitement and anxiety are very related physiologically. Sometimes, it's possible to change the interpretation of the feeling.

-- Holger Kalweit