Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Drowned In A Stream Of Prescriptions"

yes, it will be seen by millions and there will be a ton of letters. With all the angles that can be taken on this issue, it's unlikely they will choose a letter that refers to conflict between ad dollars and objective reporting. There are so many more human interest angles that won't question the times credibility--especially since they did put it on the front page and will want to print letters that praise them for that much effort, rather than point out how the article practically calls amphetamines benign (for most people).
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

This way or that, you already made a difference, Annie. :) As this classic Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has by Margaret Mead.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Here is one letter to Ed. that I liked in response to above article on Aderall. None of the letters published questioned giving amphetamines to children, but this one generally addresses the issues.

To the Editor:

The profoundly sad story of Richard Fee and his family clearly illustrates how quality psychiatric and other medical care has been overpowered by the industrialization of medicine and profits at any cost by insurance and pharmaceutical industries.

It is commonplace that psychiatric standards have been reduced to 15-minute “med checks” without attention to the true needs of the patient, to say nothing of assessing or facilitating any psychotherapeutic caring.

This approach to care is one small step for the medical-insurance-pharmaceutical industrial complex and one giant tragedy for mankind.

BRUCE J. LEVIN
    Plymouth Meeting, Pa., Feb. 3, 2013

The writer is a psychiatrist and psychoanalyst.
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It is commonplace that psychiatric standards have been reduced to 15-minute “med checks” without attention to the true needs of the patient, to say nothing of assessing or facilitating any psychotherapeutic caring.
    Reminds me of periodic check-ups of your car. To change the oil. Though it's even worse - you are being pumped a periodic toxin in your system.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thanks for the follow-up, Chris. That was a good letter from Levin.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

I just saw Dr. Levin interviewed on t.v. by Thom Hartmann --its weird how these connections start to happen--he was going on a great rant of Big Pharma and their invention of bipolar disorder in 3 year olds!! He's an activist . .
    and on the list of good guys!!

Wow, great update Chris,

How did you happen to catch the interview on TV with Thom Hartmann? It is great to hear that Levin is an activist. Somehow it is bringing up for me the movie "Silver Linings Playbook" directed by David Russell who, if I'm understanding correctly has a son who is bipolar.

I haven't seen the movie yet. But it is my understanding that they are advocating more mental health services to be easily available; however, it seems the traditional medical model is what they have in mind. How frustrating.
    "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." -- Nietzsche

How can a 3 year old have bipolar? That is ridiculous
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Thom Hartman has a regular show on an odd channel called RT t.v. which also has something called the keiser report--max keiser and stacey herbert are a great team who manage to make global financial fraud understandable through the use of humour. He is so funny and she can hardly keep a straight face, but she tries to as she is the straight man in their discussions of serious (normally boring) economic topics

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    Wow, great update Chris,

How did you happen to catch the interview on TV with Thom Hartmann? It is great to hear that Levin is an activist. Somehow it is bringing up for me the movie "Silver Linings Playbook" directed by David Russell who, if I'm understanding correctly has a son who is bipolar.

I haven't seen the movie yet. But it is my understanding that they are advocating more mental health services to be easily available; however, it seems the traditional medical model is what they have in mind. How frustrating.
    Last edited by Chris; 02-21-2013 at 05:08 PM.