Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: why some people get better quicker than others

why some people get better quicker than others

does anyone have any idea why some people have it easier than others?

oops just noticed the spelling error!

Oh, squirrely squirrel -- there are so many different reasons. But, I'll tell you one generalization -- I think that when people find something they really, really want, and can let themselves have it, this can help people turn the corner. Not every time, but often. That's why the IAWP is really trying to help people identify and pursue their passions.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

so Sheila do you think that some of w/d is psychosomatic then? and by redirecting our attention we can let w/d go?
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

Rather than that, what I would say is that the mind and body and spirit are all just different aspects of the same thing -- you. And you can affect *you* by coming in from any of these directions. And healing is always about becoming who you really are, becoming fully yourself. And we are most fully healthy when we have been able to find something that we feel "called" to do, that we love to do.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

This worries me alot as it makes me think Im not *doing* enough to stop it and so Im causing or at least perpetuating all these symptoms myself? I have no calling or passion because Im too anhedonic...maybe this is something you do later on in ther recovery process do you think?
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

Well, I think it gets easier later in w/d, but I do think you can and should make little attempts to identify and pursue your passions right from the beginning. If you can spend hours researching self-destruction, you can spend 15 minutes a day Googling things you have always been interested in but never had the time to look into. This is an example of the "harm reduction" model -- you don't expect to change self-destructive behavior overnight, but you keep doing little things that are healthy as well.

-- Holger Kalweit

LOL, yes, I see what you mean, although how do you know I havent always wanted to be a heroin addict lol?

I tell you what stops me doing things, I dont want to ruin them, I feel like if I do something good (and I can hardly bring myself to do them as I feel so bad) it ruins it, contaminates it with this feeling.

ALTHOUGH...I have been reading some history stuff about Henry the 8th, I have recently (during w/d) developed a liking for the tudor period, have read 5 books around it and watched the Tudors seasons 1=4 about 5 times, I think I could recite it...I also have done lots of reseach into where the various tudors were lain to rest and who was sleeping with you (everyone with everyone) and other bits and bobs,

Is that a good start?

I think I like it because its such escapism, another world, sometimes I imagine myself in the Kings court, but without the smells, although I must say even though I bathe everyday I *might* smell a little 16th century myself!

Iggy, it's not so much a matter of "doing enough", as those symptoms, in a considerable way, have to get more tolerable on their own, that is, your body has to, step by step, work to re-establish homeostasis again. So, this "kind of worry you shouldn't worry about". Yet, trying to focus, even in this anhedonic state, on things that potentially can take your mind off of WD at least a bit, is really worth a try. Start on a lower level, then work it up. It may only help.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Be it Henry, Tudors, sock monkeys, or all combined. Do whatever you are able to hold onto for at least some minutes. Yes, it'd be a very good start. 100%.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.